Part I: Contract Chapter 4: Perfect Day

"You know, Kinos," Xulosus said with a sigh. "I think I'll see you in two shifts, too."

"Figured," Kinos said, lowering himself into the hot water. Despite his lack of exhaustion, he too let out a sigh. "But wait and see if the cold water doesn't wake you up."

Xulosus closed his eyes, leaning his head back against the edge of the bath. Steam wafted from the hot water, filling the caldarium with wisps of white. About twenty men were lounging in this grand pool, gossiping, discussing business, or cleaning. It was a comfortable, relaxing place, even if there were a few things strange about it. Namely, the mosaics on the wall depicted dozens of fish swimming or – as Kinos saw it – leaping through the air, while the mosaic on the bath's floor showed two giant birds with their right wings interlocked. Why a bird swam while a fish flew never made sense to Kinos. Then again, what did he know about art?

Rios lathered his upper torso with oil, looking around. "Rostacos still rolling around out there?"

Xulosus gave a little glare at the caldarium's exit. "How does he even have energy? We just worked a double!"

Kinos eyed his friend. Yeah, like that's what you're bothered about.

But Xulosus wasn't the only one perturbed. Rios had a distant look as he grabbed his strigil and scraped the oil from his arm. Kinos held in a sigh.

"And what's got you all bothered?" Kinos sent a small splash to Rios. "Still upset that you haven't figured out if Aireta is flat or a globe?"

Rios glanced at Kinos, then shook his head. "I wish Nilipe would stop questioning the church." Rios shifted his gaze around the room, but no one was close by. "If someone had heard her, she could get in a lot of trouble."

You're not exactly speaking quietly. Kinos cracked his neck, pretending to contemplate what to say next. And your 'sneaky inspection' of the room would make any onlooker suspicious of us.

"She's a strong spirit," Kinos said. "She's not afraid to let her opinion known, even if it seems to contradict what the Lord of Light wants or commands."

"I just don't get it. He's given us so many blessings!"

Yeah, like constant headaches and the expertise in saying what others want to hear.

"I know, and I think she knows that, too," Kinos said. "I think she's just that caring a person that she doesn't want anyone to die. She probably thinks Undesirables can be saved, if we can do something to remove the Shade."

"You really think so?"

Shadows if I know. But Rios' brown eyes were like those of a puppy's. What kind of friend would Kinos be if he let Rios worry about this?

"Of course." Kinos felt a familiar rhythm along the edge of the pool. "Now let's change the subject, before everyone hears what you're talking about."

Rostacos entered the caldarium, wet from his dip in the tepidarium, looking around. He beamed upon meeting Kinos' eye. "There you are!" Rostacos ran over to them, his massive footfalls causing water along the floor to fling into the air. "I've been looking all over for you guys!"

"Scream a little louder," Rios said, sticking his little finger in his ear and twisting. "I don't think the ladies heard you."

Rostacos laughed. Even on the opposite side of this palatial complex, Nilipe and Liana might have heard that.

"Was about to start screaming if I didn't see you soon," Rostacos said.

"Maybe if you didn't go wrestling beforehand, you'd have known where we are," Xulosus said, his chin touching the water.