Part I: Contract Chapter 6: Flight

Kinos' heart beat in time with his rapid feet. Strange. Falling toward massive, deadly monsters caused him no concern. Rushing the governor shouldn't have made him so nervous.

Maybe it's because I have to get past her.

Cressel pounced, arms wide, at Kinos. It shouldn't be a problem, though. All he had to do was –

Kinos' chest thudded against the floor, his arms pulled back. Fingers dug into the back of his skull.

"Don't make another move," a soft voice hissed. "Or I'll break your arms."

Oh, right. She's a super-soldier.

She'd managed to pin him to the ground quicker than a flash. Maybe she was unarmed because she didn't need any weapon other than her hands. Kinos glared at the governor's feet. He was so close! A couple more strides and he'd have reached the red mageia!

Kinos' body jostled. "I said don't move," Cressel said.

"I didn't," Kinos said.

"Shut it, boy."

"Why does everyone think that? I turned sixteen –" A small noise escaped Kinos' mouth. His body lurched again, yet ceased moving as his head fuzzed. "Were you really trying to break my arms?" Kinos moved again, his head fuzzing more. "Ah, thanks. I had a kink in my shoulder I just couldn't get out."

Cressel drove Kinos' head forward, until his forehead was pressed into the floor. Kinos closed his eyes, not from pain, but because his fuzzing head was beginning to nauseate him.

I've survived explosions and murderous beasts, but I can't escape a body lock?

Kinos opened his eyes. Days ago, he'd protected Nilipe from an explosion. He hadn't known how he'd gotten there in time, but he was the miracle worker. It was time to work another one.

"Now this, Katala, is the action of an Undesirable," Callius said, stepping closer to Kinos.

"Governor..." Cressel began.

Focus... Kinos closed his eyes again. This was just like with the explosion. He needed to move, or they'd all be in serious trouble.

"It is alright," Callius said. "You have him well in your grasp. I trust you won't –"

Now! Kinos slammed his arms forward and pushed his body up. The fuzzing in his head intensified, but that didn't matter. He was free. Cressel was tumbling back. Callius stood unprotected.

Kinos vaulted onto the old man, but a giant hand clasped around Kinos' throat.

What? Kinos grappled at the hand. Who was...?

Kinos lost most of the precious breath in his lungs. The governor himself was choking Kinos and holding him in the air.

"Oh ho, you do have spirit," Callius said, smirking.

Kinos shivered again. Callius' eyes were empty, cold as his touch. The chill Kinos had felt before shot down his spine.

"Excuse me," Kinos grunted. "You stole my toy."

Kinos kicked the man's side, where he'd hidden the mageia. The little bag flew into the air along with the bronze stylus and Katala's message. Kinos' head fuzzed again as he ripped the governor's hand away. A sound like singing arose as Kinos lunged toward the bag. A force like a falling boulder slammed into Kinos' back, sending him flying. He rolled on the floor, hitting the base of a statue about thirty feet away.

Kinos' body shook, his vision a blur, but his hand clenched around rough fabric. Despite himself, he grinned.

"Kill him!" Callius shouted. "Kill him now!"