Part I Chapter 10: Shade

Contract accepted.

Alongside the Shade's raspy voice, frigid air blew, despite Cressel's fiery sword. Kinos gasped, the cold reaching into him. Ice flowed through his veins. A strange sensation settled, as if someone else were standing too close and refusing to move. But his weariness faded, his vision cleared, and his will to move increased.

Now be a good boy and don't get killed.

Kinos' arms reached out on their own. A song sounded as Cressel stabbed her blazing blade down. Kinos gripped a white and light blue spear which appeared from a sudden mist. Cressel's sword slammed into the spear. Kinos' arms jerked back a bit, deflecting Cressel's blow slightly. The blade impaled the ground an inch from Kinos' face, his head fuzzing again at the intense heat.

You're welcome, the Shade said.

"When were you going to tell me that you had a Mythic Item," Kinos grumbled.

I don't need to tell you anything. I knew you'd need my help, anyway.

"I can fight on my own."

Clearly. Kinos' heart frosted, then the fire from Cressel's sword started to diminish. As the flame fell, warmth sprouted in Kinos' chest. Now let the adults handle this.

It was like Kinos was merely a passenger in his own body. He found himself sliding closer to Cressel, then striking at her feet with the spear. Kinos' head fuzzed slightly at the strike. Cressel stepped away, but shards of ice sprouted from the ground. They reached out, encasing Cressel's feet and trapping her. The new heat from Kinos' heart flowed to his right hand, which erupted in a white-orange inferno.

Kinos' heart skipped a beat, but he felt nothing from the fire. His head didn't fuzz in the slightest. He reached out, the built energy ready to burst. Flames erupted from Kinos' palm. Cressel held her blade before her, intercepting most of the fiery torrent. She grunted as streams of the fire went around the weapon, buffeting her.

Why won't this woman die?

And here I thought you actually knew something about Mythic Items, the Shade whispered. I keep overestimating you.

Great, she could read his mind now. The Shade forced Kinos' body to move. He surged to his feet, swiping the spear at Cressel's hands. Cressel adjusted her position, but the spear struck the bottom of the hilt. The blade tilted downward and Cressel lost her footing. The fire hit her chest and a glowing stone flung into the air.

The mageia!

Kinos had to have that. It was the only thing that would help him deal with Kallius. He made to reach for it and found his body responded.

Wait, insolent fool!

Despite the Shade's protest, Kinos didn't back down. That too-close presence was overbearing, but he wouldn't give in. He needed that stone!

I said wait!

Yet Kinos' hand clamped down on the red mageia. Energy and life flowed alongside the ice. Kinos couldn't help but smile.

"Bit dramatic, eh?" Kinos said. "So scared of a silly stone."

"Hurry and surround him!" a voice called out.

Kinos' head jerked up. "Whoa! What happened to the darkness?"

He'd been so preoccupied fighting Cressel he hadn't even noticed. Dozens of soldiers formed a circle around him and Cressel. Behind the soldiers to his left was the wall, partially destroyed by Kinos' explosions. Cressel's flame that had killed Nilipe and Rostacos raged through the trees above the wall. Kinos' heart ached, his limbs trembling. This wasn't over, though. Even though he had power now, the situation was still dangerous. Mourn later. Move now.