The Elytra

He continued to walk for days. Out of everything he did not know, out of the worry and anxiety that came with Dream hunting him, he knew these mountains were his safest place. Dense trees packed together and low valleys that easily hid his towering height from peering eyes. If Dream did look this way, his attention would be on the waring soldiers and searching the battlefield for his appearance. As far as Dream was concerned, Technoblade loved to participate in battles.

Because of this, he found himself wandering through the same places after a while. Time moved in relative passing, blowing by him like the heavy wind that whistled through the mountains. Before he knew it, spring was passing on, and summer was being welcomed in.

It was, on the first true day of summer, that Technoblade found himself back in the familiar battlefield. Once again late at night, he stared out across the expanse. The grass had begun to grow, flowers returning to the blackened earth, and the trees slowly healing over the parts that had been burnt away. What was once a war-torn field was the start of a small meadow.

As he travelled through, his cape brushed the tops of the grass, creating a soft sound that followed him as he walked through the field. Drawing closer to the tree line, he heard a small bird chirping, singing its song out into the world for all to hear. A white canary with black wings, just like the one he'd seen before he met the Elytra.

The Elytra... Technoblade recalled the memory of the man, the way he smiled peacefully, the blond hair tucked behind his head, and his damaged wings. How he was so quick to offer him company, despite his appearance.

Would he still be here? He wondered to himself, pausing as if asking the universe the unspoken question. During his travels, he'd spoken to very few people, and those he did, he usually had to leave dead to avoid Dream tracking him. The Elytra was the one being he'd left alive, as he'd been given no other option when he'd woken up alone.

For months after their meeting, he'd worried that Dream would find him at any moment thanks to the Elytra's assistance. Fortunately, he never did. Technoblade remained the closest thing to a free man that he could be, free to walk the many valleys hidden within the mountain range.

His mind drew back to the Elytra many times. He was never given a name, a title, or anything besides the fact he was an Elytra. The mystery hadn't helped the fear of Dream finding him, but it hadn't helped Technoblade with putting the memory out of his head. Many nights scattered his past journey with him dwelling on the Elytra. The same question remained in his mind.

Who was he?

As the canary flew further into the woods, Technoblade realized how long he'd been standing there, and followed after it, ducking into cover.

The woods were the same as before, birch trees with a few oaks here and there. The gentle moonlight shining down through the canopy, casting his shadow as he walked through the forest. Quite rapidly, the tall grass turned into a flattened path. One familiar to him, that he and the Elytra had walked on together before.

He stared at it, scanning for any sign of the Elytra. When his eyes landed on a large black feather, he bent down, picking it up carefully and running his fingers across the feather. It was surprisingly soft, softer than a bird's feather, and just as light - if not lighter.

Technoblade looks down the path where it was resting, deciding to walk further in, in hopes of meeting the Elytra once more. He had a singular goal in his mind, to ask him his name. Perhaps then he could walk the mountain range without his mind wandering back to the mystery of the stranger.