Chapter 1~ Before

{Sam's POV}

Something about me didn't feel right. I know, a 12 year old boy is going to feel weird but not like this. I've spent the last few nights waking up in a cold sweat from nightmares, and restlessness. I don't relate to other boys in my school about anything. When they get excited about new cars coming out on T.V, or their crush (a girl) talking to them, I don't feel it. I feel so miserable and lost. It seems the only person who gets me is my best friend Ed. But sometimes I feel like HE doesn't get me. I've tried talking to my parents about it but they would just stay silent and try to understand. But there was one reason that kept coming to my mind.
Sam that's ridiculous stop being over dramatic.
But the more I thought it the more I believed it. I just had to face it no matter how much I didn't want to. I was gay. And there was only one person who could understand me.

"Sam are you okay?" I'm startled by a voice but soon realized it was Ed. "I....I don't know." I weakly say just above a whisper. "You know you can tell me anything right? I'm your best friend and I want to help you if you need it" Ed eyed me while sitting on the bench next to me.
After a moments silence I ask, "Have you ever felt so weird about yourself that you started thinking you were something different?" Ed just stares at me blankly, his ginger hair blowing in the warm spring air. "...I'll have to say no to that, but where's all of this coming from? You never have questioned anything about yourself."

I put my head into my hands right as hot tears spring from my eyes. "Ed...I-I- I'm g-gay..." I spill in between sobs. I don't look up but I know he's processing this carefully. After more silence the only thing he asks is, "Why is this something to cry about?" I look up from my hands and wipe my tears away. "Because I'm different from everyone else and when they find out eventually they'll be mean and judge me. Face it. I'm probably the only gay boy at our school."
"You shouldn't cry Sam; be proud of who you are. Don't worry about what the others will say. I love you for who you are and that's all that matters." I lean into him and bear hug him. We hug for what feels like forever until he pulls away.

"Let's go get you ice cream and celebrate!" I chuckle at Ed's comment and get up. "How do you always know how to make me feel better?" I ask as we get out school things together. He just looks at me smiling. Oh how I love looking into his beautiful blue eyes.

Sam what are you doing?!? I know you're newly gay but you cannot fall for you best friend! He's straight! Get it together.