Healing- II

13th May, 2016.

Henry finally visited the graveyard. It was nothing much to see. Rows after rows of headstones was the only indication of the once alive bodies buried beneath him. The sun was sinking lower in the horizon and cast odd shadows around the graveyard. There were a few flower shrubs dotting the brown sand and with the white marble headstones glittering in the light of the setting sun, Henry thought the graveyard looked beautiful.

The gravestones weren't hard to find. A white fence encased the twelve graves and a picture of their team had been engraved at the center. Henry looked at the faces of his smiling friends and his throat clenched. He was painfully aware of his heart beating in his chest. David, Seb, Archer, Owen, Ash, Brian, Tony, Nate, Tullie, Yen, Keith, Kallum and Keira...

The longer he stared the more his chest hurt until finally, Henry collapsed to the ground. He covered his mouth with his hands to muffle the loud sobs that escaped him. His eyes filled up with tears fast and his vision blurred. Slowly, the boiling hot tears rolled down his face. His breath gradually evened out. Henry cried until he couldn't cry anymore. His hands clutched at the sands on the grave as if trying to claw his way underneath the sand but he stopped himself. David's smile looked sad all of a sudden.

Henry left the graveyard just as the dark was creeping in. He had picked some flowers out of the bushes and decorated each grave. He had stood away and stared at his handiwork before mumbling a final 'I'm sorry' and turning away.

As he cycled away from the cemetery, he guessed that Coach had indeed been right. A part of him had sunk with 'The Callista'. A part of him was buried alongside his friends. The thought was an odd comfort to his healing mind.

With a heavy heart but a lighter mind, Henry cycled home.