Chapter 1

The bell chimed when she pushed the door open. People inside immediately looked at her, causing her to feel a little conscious but she still held her head high before continuing her way inside.

In her hand is a crumpled piece of paper that was supposed to make her job hunting easy but it was useless. She’s been relying on it for the past three days but she still hasn't found a job yet.

Lea tried to remain optimistic but it was impossible. Also adding the fact that she doesn’t know anyone here. She's all alone in this big old city. She was just about to return to her apartment when she saw a hiring sign hence the reason why she’s here.

She drummed her fingers against the wooden armchair as she waited in the lobby of La Escapa. It was particularly hot that day. Fortunately, this place was air conditioned. But her stomach is growling in hunger. She hasn't had her lunch yet and it looks like she’s going to be stuck there for hours.

The woman she talked to was in a rush. Actually, everyone was in a rush. They’re all running around and talking on top of each other that Lea isn’t even sure if they could still hear what they’re saying. It was chaotic and really not the kind of workplace she’s used to but she can’t be picky. Her pocket money won’t be able to sustain her in the next following weeks.

"Ms. Lea Sandoval?" A man with eyeglasses and dressed in white checkered polo looked around the room.

Finally.

Lea stood up and smiled brightly at the man. "That's me!"

Baguio City is really different from Manila, Lea thought to herself as she was walking home. It was nice, quiet, peaceful, and away from them. It was exactly what she needed. Packing up and leaving everything behind was the last thing in her plans. She just needs to get away, away from the painful memories. Start a new beginning and regain back the peace she lost.

It was the first time she explored the city. She was too preoccupied looking for a job to enjoy a stroll around the place. She stopped by the park to appreciate her new home.

Lea sat down in one of the benches to rest her aching feet. She cursed herself from not changing her footwear to a good pair of comfortable sneakers and now she had to suffer these painful heels. She immediately sighed in relief when she kicked the heels off, stretching her feet and ignoring the looks she got from the people passing by.

She feels content with the silence aside from the sound of the people passing by. There’s something in the silence that makes her feel at peace. It’s probably because she could be invisible. It was a stress reliever.

Then there was a loud groan.

She turned her head and saw a man looking at her. He must be around the same age as her, probably older. She would’ve smiled at him if only he wasn’t frowning at her. Lea raised her eyebrows at him but it only made the man frown even more.

"Is there a problem, sir?" Lea asked. She studied him. He looks okay enough to not attack her or do anything to her. The man only stared at her before turning away, this time with an annoyed sigh. "Do you have a problem with me? Excuse me, sir, kinakausap kita."

The man just huffed before grabbing his things and walked away.

Lea furrowed her eyebrows together, muttering under her breath about how rude the man was. "Parang baliw. God, please give me patience."

The morning came and there was still no work. Alex, the man who interviewed her last night, gave her an assurance but Lea still couldn’t stay still. She was tossing and turning all night, hundreds of thoughts bothering her. The sun was starting to rise when her tired eyes had finally closed.