Chapter 7

"Ano mas masarap mint chocolate ice cream or coffee crumble ice cream?"

It was Saturday Morning. Lea found herself inside the mall with Regine. The couple were still not talking which alarms Lea but Regine assured her that they're going to be alright. She doesn't want to meddle since it's not her relationship but she throws advice whenever she can.

"Coffee crumble masarap." Lea answered, smiling at the cashier who was taking their order. "But coffee isn't good for you, Reg. You're pregnant."

"Ate, yung coffee crumble niyo ba kape yung ginagamit?" Regine asked and Lea had to hold back her laughter because the poor cashier looked so confused.

"It's called coffee for a reason. Of course, there's real coffee there." Lea rolled her eyes playfully. "Just get the mint one."

Regine made a face. "Lasang colgate."

Lea winced when she said that. She smiled apologetically to the cashier once again, hoping that they wouldn't feel insulted.

They were hogging the queue and there's already a long line behind them because of Regine who was taking too long in deciding what flavor or ice cream she should get.

Lea nudged her. "Reg, ang haba na ng pila. Mag vanilla ka na lang tapos coffee crumble sakin."

They sat down to rest as well as eat their ice cream. Lea and Regine grew close since they spent most of their time together. Lea took over the role of Ogie for the meantime so she's been attending Regine's cravings. Fortunately, nothing too hard aside from the midnight invites that usually ends with Regine staying over at Lea's apartment while they watch movies.

"So anong masasabi mo dito sa new home mo?" Regine opened the topic.

Lea sighed, licking her lips. "Ayun, okay naman. Tahimik buhay ko. No one knows me here so it's very peaceful."

"Grabe. Sobrang hirap ba ng buhay mo sa Manila at ganyan ka makapagsalita?"

"Parang ganun na nga." Lea hummed. "Dito kasi I can move freely. Walang nagbabantay."

"Hindi mo ba namimiss ang parents mo?" Regine asked. She was curious about Lea's background. She hardly knows anything about her aside the fact that they work in the same place.

When Regine first told Ogie about Lea. The latter told her to be careful because people like Lea who move to a different place have secrets. Don't get her wrong, she trusts Lea but lately, Lea's been acting differently.

One time, Regine stumbled to the sight of Lea popping something into her mouth. That was alarming. She wants to confront her but she doesn't want to anger Lea. Oftentimes, she'd find her zoning out like she's in a state of shock. Lea would be very still and quiet. Regine had to admit that it scares her sometimes but there she knew that something's troubling her friend.

Lea was a good liar. She can hide her emotions real well.

Regine poked her sides. "Tulala ka na naman."

"Oh sorry." Lea rubbed her eyes. "What were you saying?"

"Sabi ko kung hindi mo ba namimiss ang pamilya mo?" Regine repeated her question.

"I do pero mas maganda na ito na malayo ako sa kanila. Para wala na silang masabi at hindi na ako maging pabigat sa kanila." Lea admitted with a heavy heart.

Regine immediately dropped the topic. She can see how talking about her family put her down. Instead, she thinks about another topic that will uplift her friend's mood. Good thing, Regine knows someone who will surely turn Lea's frown into a smile.