Chapter seventeen of As the Sun Rises

Chat did end up pulling the hood of the Princess's cloak up over her head as they entered the marketplace of the port city. The streets were crowded with people from a variety of different backgrounds, but it was certain that their group would stand out the most. Between the five of them, the Princess and Nino were arguably the most normal looking. Chat was loaded down with weapons and Alya and Kagami both bore the markings of the dragons on their faces.

Chat had offloaded some of his concealed knives to the Princess, allowing them to be hidden beneath Her cloak and given the cape that buckled over his shoulders to Kagami to help her conceal herself a little more. Nino had ended up doing the same for Alya, giving her the scarf that he usually wore to use as a makeshift veil. Flecks of gold and the black markings next

to their eyes could still be noticed if you were looking close enough, but you'd have to be staring them straight in the eye, which was easily avoided.

When they made it to the center of the marketplace, Nino rounded them up into a small group, handing a piece of paper out to each of them with the Princess and Chat being the only two having one shared between them. Nino had quickly scrawled out a list of items they needed to pick up, having grossly depleted their supplies since leaving the mountains. "Okay, everyone knows the plan, right?" Nino asked, raising his brows as he looked between each of them. "Make sure you pick up everything that's written down, and-"

"Keep an eye out for the Green Dragon," Kagami interjected. "We are aware."

"I was going to say that if you miss even a single thing I'd scream, but, yes, that too," Nino said with a sigh. "Seriously, whether or not we get run out of this city remains to be seen, so we need to make sure we have everything we need in case we aren't able to set foot in another marketplace for a while."

"Got it," Chat said, placing a hand on the small of the Princess's back as he began to lead Her off. "We'll meet back here in an hour."

"An hour," Alya said with a firm nod. "Got it."

"See you then." Nino smiled as he adjusted the strap of his bag on his shoulder. He was the first to go, and quickly after Alya and Kagami went off in different directions as well.

Chat had kept his hand pressed to the Princess's back and as everyone broke off and they began walking, he slowly lowered it. As he did, She began walking even closer to him, their sides pressed up against each other as they tried to avoid bumping into any other customers or merchants milling about. They stopped only at the stalls they needed to, talked only when necessary. Both he and the Princess did their best to keep completely out of the way. There had been no unnecessary stops or slip-ups.

By the time they had gotten everything on Nino's list, they still had a good half hour before they needed to meet back up with the others. Chat considered just making their way back to their designated meet-up spot, but he felt uneasy about standing in one place for too long with nothing to do. People might think they were suspicious, and the last thing they needed was for the city watch to be called on them.

Luckily their answer for what to do came when the Princess tugged on the sleeve of his shirt. "Look," She said, pointing over to a corner of the market where a few people had formed a small crowd. "Performers."

They made their way over to watch the dance troupe. Two women and a man danced with fire torches as props. Throwing them up into the air, the fire burned above the heads of the crowd and the dancers caught them expertly as they came plummeting back down to earth.

The Princess gasped in surprise, gripping onto Chat's hand tightly. She seemed to be enjoying the show that was being put on, and he figured they could wait here for a while till they needed to head back. It would be safe enough.