13

Natalie woke up the next morning and felt content. After a week of feeling horrible she had decided that enough was enough and that she was going to get her life back on track. She was going to apologise to Ben and their friendship would carry on, she was sure of it.
She rolled out of bed and put on a pair of jeans along with a pretty top and a nice jacket, sure it wasn't formal, but she didn't have to be. She then went and brushed through her hair, feeling how nice it was to have it neatly done again and she put on some concealer before getting a few slices of toast for breakfast. Once she was done, she brushed her teeth and put on a pair of trainers as she made her way out of the house and into her car. She put in her CD she had made for Ben and sang along to the songs with a smile on her face. She got to the city council building around twenty minutes later and made her way in with a proud look on her face. She walked into the department and smiled at the people who had been waiting for her before she made her way over to Leslies office where Ben was sat.
"Benji, can I speak to you for a minute?" She asks and he nods, slightly shocked at how she was.
He followed her out into the courtyard before she turned to him.
"I just wanted to apologise for how I acted yesterday, it was selfish and out of line and I know how important your job is so I'm sorry and I hope we're okay" she says and he takes her hands into his.
"It's okay Addie, I should be the one apologising, I acted like a total jackass and you deserved better, I'm sorry" he says and she pulls him into a hug.
"We're in this for the long run Benny, we'll have these ups and downs, but I've got your back" she tells him and he nods as he holds her closer, nuzzling into her shoulder.
The pair stood like that for another minute just appreciating the company that they had missed before Leslie came out and told Ben she needed him back in to help her out. He let go reluctantly and told her he would definitely see her upstairs for lunch and she nodded as he walked away from her. She smiled knowing that she had secured her friendship before she made her way back into the office and sat down at her desk, excited for lunch.

•••

Her time off arrived eventually and she waited until Ben left Leslies office before she got her stuff out. He took ahold of her hand and they made their way upstairs to their spot. She sat down first and then he did. Natalie couldn't help but just stare at him for the first few minutes with a large smile on her face.
"What?" Ben asks with a slight laugh.
"I just feel so lucky to have you in my life" she says and his heart does a little jump as he grabs her hand.
"I'm the lucky one, but anyways, tell me what I've missed this week" he says taking a bit of his lunch.
"Not much honestly, Jean Ralphio has been trying to flirt with me a lot though, his latest attempt was to ask me to go to an art museum called, "on the wall". I looked it up, it was a bar" she tells him with a smirk on her face which makes Ben laugh.
It somehow comforted him to know that despite the multiple attempts, Natalie never accepted a date from anyone. It was like she was just saving herself for the right person. Ben hoped so much that the right person would be him. The pair spent the rest of their lunch break just eating together and telling stories of things that had happened during their week. Unconsciously, the pair made their way closer to each other until they were practically sat on each other. But all they wanted was to be close. They wanted to show everyone that they were best friends and that they were fine. Their lunch break soon ended and they made their way back to the department.
"I'm leaving earlier today so I won't see you at the end of the day, I'll see you tomorrow" she tells him and he nods before he kisses her cheek telling her he'll see her later.
The action caused both of them to freeze for they had never made that kind of contact before. They both blushed deep red before going their separate ways, but Tom Haverford did not let it slip by as he made his way over to the girl.
"Damn girl, am I gonna have to tell my boy Jean Ralphio that you're a taken girl, he's gonna be bummed" He teases and she shakes her head.
"No we're just friends but Jean Ralphio doesn't need to know that" she winks and he laughs before walking off.
After another two hours, Natalie was getting ready to leave. She waved goodbye to Ben before she left the department and made her way down the hall where she saw Andy sat playing guitar at the shoeshine place. She waited by him until he finished his song before he placed it to the side and turned to the girl.
"Ah miss Natalie, how may I help you?" He asks in a posh voice which makes Nat giggle.
"Hi Andy, I was wondering if we could talk" she says and he pats the spot next to him.
The girl jumps up and makes herself comfortable before turning back to him.
"I'm thinking on asking someone to be my boyfriend but I'm nervous and I was just wondering if you had any advice" she tells him, biting her lip.
"Woah you're asking someone out, do I know them? That's not important" he says and she giggles.
"I think my best advice is just to be yourself, I mean the Harvest Festival is happening tomorrow and that would be a perfect time to ask him" he tells her and she nods.
"Yeah you're right, thank you Andy, I'll see you at the festival tomorrow, I expect to see a candy apple for me when I get there" she laughs and he nods.
The girl jumps down from the counter and makes her way along the hall. She was almost certain that this would work out but she was waiting for that one sign that would tell her that this was right. That Ben and her were meant to be together.