I. | HEADLINES

WORD COUNT: 5.3K
TW: cursing, angst (it's literally only in this chapter, the rest aren't angsty).

(Y/N) - your name
(L/N) - last name
(H/C) - hair color
(E/C) - eye color
(S/C) - skin color
(HI/T) - height
(H/L) - hair length
(H/T) - hair type
(F/C) - fav color
(F/D) - fav drink
(F/F) - fav food
(F/S) - fav snack
(B/T) - body type
(E/T) - ethnicity

"THEY KNOW THAT THE
REAL IS ON THE RISE,
FUCK THEM OTHER GUYS.
I EVEN GAVE 'EM A CHANCE
TO DECIDE, NOW IT'S
SOMETHING THEY KNOW."

— DRAKE. | HEADLINES

___________________________

"Foul, number 13! Ball doesn't count! Two free throws!"

Yuji could hardly hear the referee himself over the harsh beating of his anxious heart. Only until one of his team members grumbled out a, "move, Yuji!" did he come back to consciousness and face the flashing lights of the crowd above him. Spurts of white that came as quickly as they went flooded his peripheral, projecting a sense of 'celebrity-syndrome' on his usually humble thoughts. Pale knees still bent from the layup he attempted to make straightened so he could stand at his full height. In comparison to the rest of the court, Yuji was, at best, average in the height department, but that small setback didn't keep him from showing out on the court—making a complete ass of himself during his first game.

Right after the opposing team completed their free throws, both, in which, made it inside the basket, two hands raised in the air to signal a 'timeout' for the Jujutsu High Pandas. Buzzes rung throughout the building, and especially the court, causing Yuji's shoulders to slump in realization that this was probably the last time he'd be able to play for the rest of the game—the playoffs too, if Coach Gojo found it necessary.

After Yuji spent the entire season up until the playoffs warming up the bench for players that'd never make it in the starting line-up, Gojo's been itching like a bed-bug infection to put Yuji on the court and see what he could really do up against powerhouse schools like Kyoto High. By the second quarter, he finally made the move to put Yuji to the test and see if his trust lied in the right place. Many times before has his judgement been adorned with the fat marker of an F due to his carelessness in high school, but he didn't expect such an important game to end up like this after trusting his usual grade A intuition.

"73 - 50," the board read.

With less than five minutes on the board and dimmed spirits due to whatever water Yuji washed over their electrical cords, Gojo saw as clear as day that Jujutsu High wasn't taking back the championship title this year. All he could tell his students with that dumb smirk on his face was, "don't stop until the buzzer! Never stop until that buzzer!!"