VII. | MORE THAN FRIENDS

WORD COUNT: 7.6K
TW: cursing, no beta we die like men, this shit is so corny I can't.
NOTE: oh bitch I've been WRITING. I'm pushing shit out like it's 2021 god bless. Go look at my vampire!luffy fic tho that's gas rn.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE'S
SOMETHING LEFT IN MY
CHEST ANYMORE. BUT
GODDAMN, YOU GOT ME
IN LOVE AGAIN."

— DUA LIPA. | LOVE AGAIN

___________________________

"Did you see me there?! Center was like "Woah" and I was like "Yeah". Then I went "woosh" across the court, dunked right in front of him! Kinji got all the rebounds so he was like "boom". Their point guard couldn't even keep up, 'cause he was all like "woo". Inumaki was like "woosh" for every three-pointer and we racked up so much! It was the best feeling of my life!"

Yuji expressed his excitement about his very first match to (Y/N), who effortlessly translated his coded way of talking. They sat next to each other in the cafeteria, enjoying the last ten minutes of lunch they have along with the rest of the gang--including an irritated Megumi who wanted no more than to enjoy his lunch by himself.

(Y/N) trekked on a mission involving Megumi, and she'd stop at nothing to make it a success. To learn how to be a part of a team, he needed to learn how to be a friend. The first step to getting him back on the court was getting him to rebuild the relationships he allowed to crumble due to basketball.

Megumi's life resided on the court, shooting free throws and practicing drills all day long.

There was a time he used to have friends. Although they all still considered him someone dear, they weren't as close to him as they previously were. It all started during his last year of middle school, spanning his first year of high school.

(Y/N) and Megumi were good friends until she moved on to high school while he had to deal with his last year of middle school alone. Although she introduced him to the group she and Yuji hung around, he didn't stay with them for long. Winning the national championships came with a price bigger than he was willing to admit, dedicating his entire life to basketball and nothing else. He cut off everyone he ever loved, so, when the time came for Yuji to show off his first year's championship in high school? He was devastated at their loss.

This was the first time he sat with them in the cafeteria in a long, long time.

They all chatted like nothing was wrong--like he never left them for dead in pursuit of a career he almost lost. He was included in their conversations, which ranged from any and everything, just as he remembered.