prologue

the usually cool air was humid today as Lynxstar emerged from her den.

she wheezed feeling slightly lightheaded as her thick furred pelt itched uncomfortably.

the spotted shadowclan leader stumbled forward and onto the high-ledge where she crouched, peering down into the camp clearing.

her stubbed tail flicked as she watched her clan-mates, noticing she wasn't the only one affected by the weather.

Nettlepatch was dragging dried up herbs from out of her den looking very annoyed, Violetpaw was talking to Jaggedpaw as they got ready to leave for a morning hunting patrol.

"i bet all the prey has migrated to riverclan by now!" Violetpaw complained, Jaggedpaw slumped down looking exhausted.

"probably. this weather rolled in at midnight so I didn't get much sleep. you?" Violetpaw shook her head with a sigh.

Lynxstar turned her watchful gaze away from the apprentices and watched Daisypool coaxing her kits out of the nursery.

Beekit whined. "but mama! it's too hot outside!" Lightkit piped up. "i bet the sun is mad at you Beekit, you destroyed my moss-ball."

"the sun doesn't favorite you Lightkit and i didn't mean to destroy your moss-ball, it was an accident!"

Beekit protested but Lightkit only shot him an accusing glare and scurried off into the camp clearing, Daisypool trailed after Lightkit to fetch him, sighing and shaking her head.

Lynxstar watched Yellowkit look back at Beekit sadly before hurrying after his mother and brother, Beekits ears slowly drooped.

his face scrunched up as tears started to flow down his cheeks and he twisted around and ran back into the nursery with a high-pitched wail.

Lynxstar flattened her ears before walking down the rocky pathway to her den.

she strutted into the clearing just as Daisypool ran past her, worriedly heading into the nursery after Beekit.

looks like i don't need to help after all

she walked across the clearing and slipped out of camp, starting to walk through the pine forest.

she enjoyed the sound of pine needles snapping beneath her large furry padded paws— when she suddenly brushed past an odd smelling bush.

Lynxstar came to an abrupt stop and backed up, retracing her steps until she was in front of the bush she had just passed.

she bent her head down and sniffed at the bush before lifting a paw and brushing some of the leaves aside. "..what in starclan?"

hidden by the outer leaves of the bush was fresh blood dripping onto the forest floor, making a soft pitter pattering noise. almost the entirety of the bush was coated in blood.

Lynxstar sniffed around the bush, her fur spiking up in disbelief.

it smells like a kittypet. but what's one doing so far away from its home? twolegplace is near thunderclans territory, not shadowclans

she pushed the leaves back into place so that they covered the inside of the bloody bush back up.

hopefully that will be enough to mask the scent, i want to avoid drawing predators into shadowclans territory

that thought, along with the humid weather irritated Lynxstar even further causing her to draw her lips back into a quiet snarl.

"ugh.. it's so hot." complained a voice as Shadowsight rounded a tree, his tortoiseshell coat neatly groomed.