chapter 2

Lynxstars lungs burned as she ran beside Maplestar, the leaders matching each others pace as they led their clans to safety.

racing back into the forest they darted up the nearest trees.

climbing up onto the highest branch of a tree Lynxstar realized some cats would have to perch themselves on the much lower branches of the trees.

"Quiverpaw..?" Blackclouds voice rang out throughout the clearing, the black and white windclan medicine cat fearfully looked around at the cats.

"..where's Quiverpaw?" Gorsestar who was on the same branch as her clans medicine cat— rested her tail on the she-cats shoulder.

"Blackcloud, i know you're worried for your apprentice but you need to keep your voice down. we don't want to attract those things."

Blackcloud fought back tears and slowly nodded, "i understand Gorsestar.. sorry."

Lynxstar shuffled her paws guiltily, knowing the close bond the mentor and apprentice shared over the moons they spent together.

"i know what happened to all of our missing clan-mates." immediately cats turned their heads to the shadowclan leader.

Blackcloud yelped, her voice rising slightly. "where is my apprentice?" she whimpered.

"i'm sorry Blackcloud, Quiverpaw is dead. they're all dead." Lynxstar murmured and the atmosphere changed instantly, the mood darkening.

silence, as expected..

most cats seemed to be holding back their tears but a few let them fall silently.

Blackcloud stumbled backwards into Gorsestar and curled her tail around her body in a failed attempt to comfort herself.

Blackcloud began to sob as the realization that she'd never see her apprentice again, set in.

"and Wolfe? where is he? surely he made it." Lynxstars ears snapped up as a voice spoke from behind her.

pinpointing where it was coming from Lynxstars gaze fell onto the cream tabby kittypet.

"oh.. he didn't make it either, i'm sorry." the kittypet instantly shot to her paws, the fur along her back bristling with rage as her hackles lifted.

"we saved your tail back there and you didn't even try to protect him!? he has an expecting mate and now he'll never get to meet his kits!"

Lynxstar flattened her ears just as Nettlepatch came to her rescue.

"it's not Lynxstars fault, Wolfe was too far away from her. before she could reach him he was surrounded. getting upset won't help our current situation, Blaze."

Blaze closed her mouth, glaring at Lynxstar accusingly but she didn't say anything afterwards to the shadowclan leader. "i'm leaving, i have friends i have to get back to."

Blaze huffed, scrambling down the tree after making sure the coast was clear. the cream tabby kittypet vanished through the nearest bush, heading in the direction of twolegplace.

Nettlepatch lifted her muzzle to the darkening sky and snorted softly, "we'll have to sleep up in the trees tonight." flicking an ear she settled down onto the branch.

Lynxstar settled down beside Nettlepatch and buried her face in her shoulder fur with a content sigh, she was clearly exhausted.

a few minutes had passed when Wrenfeathers voice was suddenly heard. "Blackpelt and uhm.. Wolfe?" Lynxstar didn't open her eyes as she heard paws thundering up the nearest tree.