Chapter 3: Reality

"It started when I was young. It wasn't something I could hold; just something I could do. I didn't need friends if I could just make them, right? I was a popular kid anyway, but they always wanted me to do it. I never realized I could be a part of something greater until they came after me. Reality is what we make it to be.. or at least, what I decide it to be."

A slim, tan boy sat in the cafeteria of his school for talented children of the Downtown area. He sipped on his juice and two boys walked over to his table and sat across him. He looked up at them and back down to his food. 

"Dylan!"

The tan boy smiled and continued to eat his fries. 

"C'mon man.. Please??"

Dylan: "Which one?"

"Math! I swear, I will do it next time! Just please, this one more time."

The student handed Dylan his worksheet and Dylan looked around, placing his hand over the paper, created the answers onto the paper. The kids squealed and ran off, thanking him. A girl with brown hair held onto her tray, watching the two boys run off, and turned to Dylan. He rose his eyebrows and immediately looked back to his food. She chuckled, making her way over to his table and sat down, leaning toward him. 

"Again, Dylan?"

Dylan: "I.. I haven't done that one in a while.."

"Cheating isn't good."

Dylan: "Yeah.. But they're cool people-"

"Can't have them use you for things like this."

Dylan: "Then what can I let them use me for?"

"Don't let anyone use you, silly."

The girl picked up one of his fries and took a bite. 

Dylan: "Hey!"

She smiled, handing Dylan a grape. 

"Anyway, I was thinking.. Wanna see a movie after school?"

Dylan: "A movie? Wait, isn't your boyfriend going to get mad or something? Where is he?"

"It's okay, Dylan. Jared and I aren't together anymore.. There are some things that we couldn't fix."

Dylan: "Well.. He was a loser anyway."

"Coming from you?"

Dylan: "Hey-"

"I'm kidding."

The two looked at their trays. 

Dylan: "Sam?"

Sam: "What's up?"

Dylan: "Do you think there are more people like me?"

Sam: "Powered? Of course. Not in the downtown area though-"

Dylan: "No.. Like.. I don't know how to explain it. Sometimes I feel like I'm part of something much bigger.. Greater."

Sam: "Well, there is always a possibility. Do you want to have a greater purpose?"

Dylan: "Yeah. I don't want to be stuck in place all my life. I want to experience life!"