Chapter 38: Corruption

Linda found a dark black gazebo in the middle of a park and sat down, leaning on the back of the chair as clouds formed around the vacant park and started to rain down onto the city. She tapped onto the table until a tall man approached the gazebo, sitting down and closed his umbrella. The face of an older Joseph faced her and took off his gloves and coat. 

"Chaos."

Linda: "Shadow King. What's it been?"

"To you? Perhaps a couple of years. In reality? Millenia. How can I be of use to you?"

Linda: "I think you know why I am here."

"I do, but we had an agreement."

Linda: "Agreements are meant to be broken-"

"Are they, though? We split from our possessions for good reason. You, with all of your memories, is dangerous. Me, at my full power, is catastrophic."

Linda: "Yet, I am afraid we don't have much time. The reckoning is about to begin-"

"Hmm. Check again."

Linda: "Shadow King-"

"It has begun."

Sam stopped in her tracks, at the stairwell right below Joseph's location. Everyone in the group paused, looking up the staircase. 

Sam: "Joseph is right above us."

Brandon: "Okay.. But why did we stop?"

Sam turned around, facing the back of the group where Bryan, Jordane, Howyn, Aer, and Elaine stood; holding Eric and Amy captive with them. Everyone else turned around, shocked to see their enemies. 

Dylan: "Wha- How did they get in without me noticing??"

Elaine: "So this is your work? Very impressive. It seems like we have another Book with the same magical capacity as me."

Dylan: "As you??"

Brent: "Brandon."

Brandon: "Already thinking it. If we have to hold them back, I need you to stall for as long as you can. There is no way we can take on Bryan."

Sam: "I can handle him."

Dylan: "S-Sam!?"

Sam: "Block, but don't fight back."

Brandon: "How??"

Bryan teleported up to Brent, throwing a punch his way. Brent quickly dodged the attack and leaned in with his fist. Sam created a Shadow Bow into her hands, shooting a Shadow arrow into Brent's fist, pushing him away from Bryan. 

Sam: "Block, but don't fight back."

Brent: "Lady Christine-"

Jeanne: "Wait, no, she's right. If we don't fight back against Bryan, he can't absorb your strength because you're not fighting him."

Bryan clicked his teeth and switched to a chuckle. He vanished once again, teleporting in front of Sam's face. He took her by the throat and threw her across the parking garage. She rolled onto the ground, pulling back the string of her bow, forming an arrow into her right hand. The arrow shot across the garage, between Amy and Eric, shooting through Elaine's left calf and Bryan's right thigh. Eric's droopy eyes opened as the wind from the arrow lashed past him.