49. Cece

🎶Listen to Minefields by Faouzia🎵

"...and did you see Misty's order ? That girl has an appetite."

Heidi's jovial voice cuts through my ugly crying.

"I can't wait to tell... "

Her eyes land on my crying form.

"...Cece !"

I'm currently still in the same position Luka left me in an hour ago, but, rather than standing I'm now seated on the floor.

"Oh my ! Cece !"

She leans down to where I am and pulls me into a tight hug.

She smells of lavender, smoked ribs and vodka. So I guess her outting went well.

That makes one of us.

"Honey are you okay ?"

Axel asks and I shake my head no. She too leans down to where I am and joins in the pitty hug.

We stay in that position for a while before Heidi suddenly pulls away and eyes me.

"Where's Ash ?" She worriedly asks.

"She's asleep."

"Oh !"

I chuckle.

"You thought something happened to her ?"

She nods and I chuckle again.

Count on Heidi to make me laugh in the middle of a cry.

I sniff and wipe the salty streaks from my face.

"Do you want me to kill someone for you ?" Heidi flashes me her signature puppy dog eyes.

Axel and I both burst out laughing.

"You can hardly hurt a fly." Axel teases, resulting to Heidi playfully punching her upper arm.

"No. I don't want you to kill anyone, cause it's kind of my fault. It's always my fault."

"Don't say that."

I know Heidi won't admit it, but most of the things that happen to me... are because of me.

Axel seems to sense the tension building up because she suddenly stands up and shifts her gaze from me and Heidi.

"Why don't I get the coffee and cookies." She suggests and Heidi nods at her.

"You look terrible." Heidi suddenly blurts.

"I know."

We're quiet for a while before she pulls me in for a hug.

"I love you Cece."

"I love you too Heidi."

Heidi leads me upstairs and gets the shower ready. It takes me a whole forty five minutes to freshen myself up, and when I come out, Heidi, Axel and Ash are seated on my bed munching on cookies.

I smile at the sight and walk towards them.

"Cookie ?" Ash offers me and I pick her up and slump on the bed, not minding I'm still in my robe and soaking wet.

Ash stuffs her half eaten cookie in my mouth and concentrates on my wet hair.

"You look a lot better." Axel says.

"A lot better." Heidi adds.

We spend the next half an hour laughing at Axel's high school memories and awkward work encounters. In the middle of all of that Ash becomes thirsty so Axel takes her downstairs to have some water.

I take that distruction to get dressed in sweats and one of Luka's t-shirts.

"Come here." Heidi pats on the empty bed side once I come out of the closet. I waste no time in jumping beside her.

"So... do you want to talk about it ?" She asks out of nowhere.

"Talk about what ?"

"The fact that I found you on the floor crying your eyes out... because of Luka ?"

My eyes go wide.

"How did you know it was because of Luka ?"

"I don't know..." She pretentiously rolls her eyes. "...maybe it's the fact that today you, him and Ash were having an early lunch ? Or maybe, it's the fact you have one of his t-shirts on..."

"This is so embarrassing." I mutter under my breath as I cover my face with both hands.

Heidi grabs my hands and pulls them from my face.

"Did you guys have a fight ? How was lunch ? Did he hurt Ash ? Did Ash hurt him ? Cause she can be really aggressive when she has had a lot of sugar or those little cupca-"

I cut Heidi short by stuffing a cookie inside her mouth.

"We didn't fight. Lunch was great. He didn't hurt Ash and Ash didn't hurt him."

"Then what is it ?"

I'm quiet for a while. "He asked why I left."

That seems to get Heidi's attention because she suddenly sits upright.

"What did you tell him ?"

"Nothing. I told him nothing and he was really really angry with me, and I hated it. I hated myself."

Heidi shakes her head at me.

"Has it ever occurred to you that you don't have to tell him everything ? Just a little bit of it ? Something that'll assure Luka that he's not the real reason you left ?"

***

I nervously ring the bell to an all to familiar door and wait. I check the time on my phone, and just like the first time, I stand there for exactly seven minutes before the door swings open.

"Cece ?"

I take in a deep breath and look up at Luka's golden eyes.

"I know I'm the last person that you want to see right now, but, I'm sorry..."

Luka opens his mouth to say something but I immediately cut him off.

"...and I know that sorry won't fix anything but..."

I suddenly go quiet because I'm busy staring at Luka's lean form through the tight grey tank top he has on and black baseball shorts.

Wow. I'm sucker for his body.

Luka chuckles and I abruptly look up.

"Did I say that out loud ?" I ask and he nods.

Of course I did.

I let out a heavy breath and clear my throat.

"As I was saying..." I look up at Luka and he's staring at my chest.

That's when it hits me I'm wearing his t-shirt... with nothing underneath.

He clears his throat then holds his gaze with mine.

"As I was sayin-"

"I want you too." Luka cuts me off.

"Uh... what ?" I stutter.

"I want you too Cece..." He's about to add up to what he's saying when I stand on my tip toes and gently press my lips on his.

"I'm here... what are you waiting for ?"