Chapter 3

Only Another Beginning

Chapter 3

When Harry woke up he noticed that his stomach was growling slightly. Yawning, he opened his eyes and instinctively reached for his glasses on the nightstand where he put them every evening, but the first thing he felt was a pile of cleenex and the crumpled remainders of… condom packs? And then he remembered, remembered having driven to the road where he had run into Malfoy the other night, taking him for dinner and – Oh God. He had actually done it.

Putting on his glasses he looked to his left side, but instead of the slender blond there was only a wrinkled pillow and the covers hanging over the side of the mattress. Had he already left?

Harry got up from the bed, quickly went to his closet and put on some pyjama bottoms before he headed for the living room, but there was no sign of Malfoy.

To his right, however, he could see light emerging from the windowless bathroom through the door that hadn't been closed completely. With silent steps Harry walked closer, peeking through the gap between door and frame and caught a narrow glimpse of Malfoy standing bent down a little by the sink, obviously busy with something although there was no water running. But whatever it was, it didn't seem like something that required privacy and so Harry didn't hesitate to clear his throat and slowly push the door open.

Its low squeaking didn’t quite drown out the sniffing sound though, and right at the next moment the blond straightened again. In the mirror Harry could see that his eyes were closed, lips slightly parted as if he was concentrating on something.

In shocked silence Harry stood there for a few seconds, alternating looking at the remainders of the white powder on the sink and the face in the mirror.

"Are you mad?" Harry finally cried. "Are you completely out of your mind?"

In contrast to his raised voice, Malfoy’s was quiet as he answered. He didn’t even bother to open his eyes. “Fuck you, Potter. If you don’t like what I’m doing, look somewhere else.”

"Is – is that cocaine?" Harry stammered, pointing at the leftovers of the white line and the small silver box where he had obviously kept it.

Finally Malfoy raised his eyes to the mirror and looked at him through it, his gaze challenging. He didn’t say anything though, just grabbed the little box and the rest of his clothes he had left here after his shower, and slipped past Harry, out of the bathroom.

Harry stood there for a moment, dumbfounded and could only let out a sarcastic gasp of breath. "Excuse me?" he finally called after the blond. "This is my flat and you're using your drugs here? God, I can't believe this." He threw his arms into the air. "You know, I get it now. That's where all your money goes.

You could actually afford a room somewhere and regular meals if you didn't waste it all on drugs!"

As he came back into the bedroom where Malfoy had vanished into, he saw the blond closing the fly of his dark blue jeans, grabbing his black shirt afterwards. He didn’t look at him, and it didn’t seem as if he was keen on answering Harry’s accusations.

"I really can't believe you," Harry said, this time almost a bit exhausted. Then his anger and disappointment took over and he folded his arms in front of his chest. "Well, you're sure as hell not getting four hundred pounds from me for buying drugs."