004. BAIL ME OUT

ADDI THE BADDI

I drop to the floor, ripping my pack open. There's a lot of legit first aid stuff, but it isn't until I've basically emptied the contents that I find the culprit: a grey phone the size of a brick, a retractable antenna extending from its tip. I press down hard on one of its chunky keys and slam my ear into the speaker. "Hello?"

"Adelaide Sh'adow Amnesia Jane Sandler?" a voice crackles down the line. An Australian accent but I cannot put a name to the voice.

"Who is this?"

"Warren."

"Warren! Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness! I can't believe this."

"Adelaide, are you okay?"

I don't know why, but I begin to cry. A lump the size of a fist clenches in my throat and tears well up in my eyes. But I'm laughing too as if I didn't just escape death and botch my entire operation. "I have no idea. I really don't know. Now I'm in Vancouver," I say, trying to keep my voice consistent. Inhaling deeply, so as not to sniff too obviously. I don't look up to Harris. It would only make things worse. "There was an explosion, Warren. Back at Maizuru."

"I know. Erobby told me."

My eyes widen at her name. "Ebonny! Is she okay? Warren, is she hurt?"

"She's fine. Just as stressed as you are. She made it with your friend, Johnny. They're okay." This reassurance slows my heart a bit. "But the real question is how did you get to Canada?"

"I don't know. Someone pulled me onto a ship and then we were taking off, and I... I must've passed out. So much was happening. I didn't mean to. I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to—"

"Adelaide Sh'adow Amnesia Jane Sandler," Warren says sternly, and I'm scared he's going to tell me off more. I bite my bottom lip to suppress my whimpers. "As long as you're safe, that's all I care about. Are you safe?"

Without thinking, I throw a glance at Harris. He's spun his chair and is watching me with growing worry. Just as I'm about to break the momentary eye contact between us, he pushes himself off the chair. Nods at the door, and leaves.

Do I trust him enough to keep me safe? He has no reason to look after me, and in helping me, he is likely to get into a lot of trouble. I shouldn't trust him to look after me. All I know is that I need to sit here and cry. I have to get this out of my system so that I can think straight. And I won't have to ask whether I trust him to keep me safe. I shouldn't have to trust him at all.

"I think so," I sigh, though there's a lot of doubt in my heart. "I think I'm okay."

"Good," Warren says. "Because I think you're going to have to stay there."

My heart stills. I think I'm finally experiencing death or a heart attack.

"I know it sounds scary, but I can't find a way to get you back to Japan. And it would be a waste of your time to have to fly back, seeing as this is the ultimate destination. So really, you got lucky."

I'm speechless. I most certainly did not get lucky; I was destined to die, perhaps.

"I haven't found a way for Eonby to get up there with you. Since that explosion, there's been a significant amping up of security in Japan. But it's certainly better that she's there because at least I have more contacts on the ground. But Vancouver?" He pauses and it really makes things worse. "I'll try to get someone up there. But it might be six months before that can happen."

My heart starts pounding again. "What am I supposed to do? It's not exactly easy just waiting around in a random country." I lower my voice. "They might find out I'm not anadian-cay and think I'm a py-say."