Chapter 33.

Chapter 33 ━━ The Great Sacrifice

━━━━━━━━☆★☆━━━━━━━━

Katherine resumes her path along the sidewalk and slows down as she approaches the front entrance. A large set of glass doors awaits her, and a sudden, almost painful surge of memory pounds inside her skull. 

The escape from the Maze, the flight through the corridors of WICKED, running away from Janson numerous times. 

And now, after all she's being through, she's standing at WICKED’s threshold, thereby her own choice. She suddenly feels the presence behind her. Not wanting to look back to identify the person, she speaks. "You don't have to come with me, Tommo." 

"You followed me around all the way to this point. It's my time to follow you even if you like it or not. I'm your twin brother and remember, Brenda survived because of us. Not only you. Beside Newt is my friend." Thomas explains to her. 

"Oh, yes. I do remember that you two secretly dated behind my back. I guess you took revenge for flirting with Teresa back at the labs. Good job, bro." She jokes, turning to him with a grin. 

"Shut up!" He rolls his eyes at her. 

"Home, sweet home." Katherine mutters. 

"I can’t believe we’re back here." Thomas says, moving to stand beside his sister. His voice sounds haunted, and it echoes how she feels inside. 

She turns to look at him once again. "Crazy, huh?"

Thomas smiles. "Crazy."

They stare at the entrance a little longer before entering WICKED’s headquarters. They walk into the familiar white hallway to find Ava standing on the midway. 

Katherine doesn't hesitate to point her gun at the blonde in front of her. "Is it true? Newt. Can we save him?" 

"You both can save us all." Ava says calmly. 

Katherine falls to her knees as she lets go of her gun which slides away from her perimeter. "Please. Help him." 

"You can have us. Just leave the others alone." Thomas says, not taking his eyes off the blonde lady. 

"I promise. I will…" Ava gasps for air as a gunshot echoes through the air. Blood covers a patch in her perfect white clothes before she collapses into the ground lifelessly.  

Janson steps out of the shadows with his smirk. "Oh, my favorite pair of twins. You should have run."  

Before either twin can take any action, the electric sound of a Launcher’s charge fills the air and smashes into Katherine's 

chest and lightning tendrils envelopes her body as she falls screaming to the ground,

writhing, legs rigid, from her neck down she's numb, and terror flares inside her.