4

Nayeon opened her eyes. She had just finished filling in the report of the case. As her vision returned, she was in an observer's quarters overlooking an ongoing interrogation.

"Why'd you do it?" Jeongyeon asked the bloody android, who looked dazed and confused. It didn't answer, instead it stared downwards in guilt. Jeongyeon sighed after a few seconds of silence and flipped a page of the report she was holding.

"Why didn't you even try to run away?" Jeongyeon tried again, no answer. She could see the androids eyes dart from corner to corner, as if it was afraid to even squeak.

In her frustration, Jeongyeon slammed down onto the table. "Say something, dammit!" But the robot kept silent. She shook her head in defeat and looked at the observer's quarters, where Nayeon, another detective named Michael and an officer were in.

She stood up and exited the interrogation room and into the observing quarters. "Nothing. We've been asking it questions since we got him about a few hours ago, and it's been silent all this time." Jeongyeon explained. Nayeon looked at the android, calculating how much it would take for it to spill the beans.

"Could always try roughing it up a little." Michael suggested, folding his arms.

"Androids don't feel pain. You can only damage it and that wouldn't make it talk." Nayeon argued. "Deviants also have a tendency to self destruct under stressful situations."

"Ok, smartass." Michael got off the wall he was leaning on. "What should we do then?" He asked in a mocking tone.

Nayeon thought for a minute. "I could try questioning it."

"HA!!" Michael burst out in laughter. Nayeon looked at Jeongyeon, who was tired from all the questioning.

"What do we have to lose?" She said. "Go ahead, it's all yours."

Nayeon nodded and proceeded to enter the interrogation room. She observed the still robot, it was badly damaged and covered in blood, and it's ring was in a shade of yellow. There were cigarette burns on one arm, and the other was torn open.

DIRECTIVE: EXTRACT CONFESSION
MUCH REACH OPTIMAL LEVEL OF STRESS

STRESS LEVEL: 20%
OPTIMAL LEVEL: 60%

CHOOSE METHOD: ROUGH >CALM<

"You're damaged." Nayeon began. "Did your owner do that? Did he beat you?"

The robot fell silent, but the observant robot noticed it's stress level rising as it reminded him of it's dark past.

STRESS LEVEL: 29%

Nayeon decided to try something else.

"I detect an instability in your program. It can trigger an unpleasant feeling, like fear in humans."

STRESS LEVEL: 32%

This was going way too slowly. Nayeon looked at the glass and saw Jeongyeon's face slowly turn into a frown. She decided she needed to be tougher.

Nayeon slammed the file onto table. "28 stab wounds, you didn't want to leave him a chance, huh?"

The robot's stress level immediately began to show an increase.

"Did you fell anger? Hate? He was bleeding, begging you for mercy! But you stabbed him anyway, again and again and AGAIN!"

"Please..." The robot pleaded. Nayeon paused and wondered if she'd gone too far. She quickly checked the stress levels again.