Chapter 9: The Slime

"He's been gone for months," Crimmy said in response to Piper's inquisition, looking at Bleek's house at the top of the hill. Piper waited for him to continue his thought, and when he didn't, she decided to ask something. "How many months?"

"I dunno. Two, probably. One and a half," Crimmy answered monotonously. His elastic skin pulsed around his gills. Piper watched them perplexedly, momentarily comprehending whether or not Crimmy used his gills or lungs or both.

"Do you know why he left at all?"

"I dunno."

"Did... he leave with someone?"

"I dunno."

"Do you know where he went?"

Crimmy made a noise that indicated he wasn't sure. Piper crossed her arms, a little irritated. "Well, okay, then, do you know who I could ask?"

His answer made Piper want to tear her hair out. "I dunno. Why do you keep asking me all these questions?!"

Piper sighed. "There's been a trampling, Crimmy! At Tomato's house."

"What's that?"

"Someone's trampled Tomato's crops, and we're trynna find out who did it. Do you have any idea who could have done this?"

His answer was the same.

Piper said, "Have you had any bad experiences with Tomato in the past?"

Crimmy burst out laughing. "Oh, yeah! Lots. Which one do you want to know about?"

"Well.. I was told you annoyed him to death by shooting your saliva onto his farm."

"Oh! Oh, that one! That was very funny. I was literally helping him, and he got so upset!"

"And about when was this?"

"A week or so ago," Crimmy said briskly.

"Have you had any recent visits with Tomato?"

"How recent?"

"As in within the last few days?"

"No," Crimmy answered, fairly quickly.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, pretty sure. I mean, I stood outside his house and opened and closed his doors a bajillion times, like, two days ago, but not really other than that. If you're asking if I trampled his crops, it wasn't me, lol. It would be funny if it was, though."

Piper jotted something down on her notepad. "Did you see anything suspicious around Tomato's house last night or anything?"

"How am I supposed to know?! I wasn't over there!"

"Then where were you?"

"Uh... I dunno. In my house, probably."

"Were you doing anything that you remember?"

"Pfft, no."

Piper jotted a few more things down on her notepad, and, after refusing Crimmy's requests to take a look at her writing, she asked: "Have you seen anyone that may have covered Tomato's mailbox in slime yesterday? Specifically a girl with brownish hair?"

Crimmy started laughing again. "Pfffft, no?! What?! Wait, what happened?!"

Piper re-explained it to him, and he laughed a bunch more, continuously saying how funny it was and demanding to know Tomato's reaction.

Piper eventually gave up, and said goodbye to Crimmy before heading back to Preston and Rop's house. When she got there, she threw herself into a chair and slumped over.