Chapter 16: Elisa

So almost everyone loved Kenzie. But what is there not to love about her?

She stayed a week, only if I agree to come away with her to the beach for the weekend. Kai wasn't happy about me leaving the pack territory, but I promised him that I will call every day. Alana said that she thinks it was a great idea for me to spend some time with Kenzie.

Kai finally gave in and made me promise to call him when I wake up and before I go to bed, he was worried about the hunters. I knew Kai would probably want me to have a form of security with me, so when I found out that Darnell had arranged for two of his men to follow us. Kai and I got into an argument.

I won in the end, because Jarred and Oakley intervened. I know Kai was doing what he thought was best. But the other thing was, Kai didn't warm up to Kenzie like the others.

Maybe it was because I spent more time with her than I did with him.

He started getting very protective of me since she had arrived. We still shared a bed, we've done more kissing and touching and the entire pack was in the know about us. Thanks to Oakley and his big mouth. Emme and Alana told me that they knew things were going to happen to us, but said nothing to me before.

Now that's all they talk about.

We were all having dinner in the dining room, and just like every night so far, Kenzie stole the show.

"Stop glowering." I muttered as I squeezed Kai's hand.

He squeezed mine in return. "I don't want you to leave." He whispered and I rolled my eyes.

"Can this wait until we get to bed?"

He flashed me a smile, "of course."

After dinner, everyone went their own way. Kenzie went to my old room where she had been sleeping to pack her bags, and I went with Kai to our room.

Our room.

It had become our room without us even noticing it. Ever since that morning we first kissed, every morning went like that until either one of us needed to leave or if someone interrupted us. I also loved it when he wrapped me in his arms during the night and I would snuggle deeper into his warm embrace.

My senses also became sharper, my eyesight was better, my hearing as well, but my sense of smell was impeccable. I asked Kai about it and he said that my wolf's senses were waking up. Soon I would be faster and agiler, but the best part would be that I could shift.

The doctor was happy with me. He said that my wolf's blood was getting stronger and that would make my first shift much easier. My wolf seemed to taunt us, well, me mostly.

I would feel a sudden shift when I was around Kenzie, like my wolf was unsure if she should come out in front of her, and that would be the only time I tried to suppress my wolf.

Kenzie was human, and we needed her to not know about us. Darnell said that we can't trust humans. They might be hunters or they could tell the wrong person who knows a hunter. I tried to tell them that Kenzie would never tell our secret, but I understood why they felt like they couldn't truly trust her. She was a human stranger.

But she still was my best friend since kindergarten. Her father was a doctor, and so was her grandfather. She wanted to become a veterinarian, while her mother was a psychiatrist. It was always funny how their family all had the same career choice.

It was always fun to visit them. They would use medical humor and terms that I've grown to love and hated. Some of them I never understood, while others were hilarious. When her dad started with the dad jokes, I just couldn't help but love the man more. I just wished I had the same relationship with my dad as she had with hers.