Chapter Two

"I'm sorry for having to do this to you, Lizzie," Fury says as he sits down at my counter.

I turn towards my counter and lean on it as I say, "What's so important that you had to come all the way to my Greenwich mansion ... in person?"

"You make it sound like I never come here?" He laughed as I rolled my eyes.

"You've never been here. You've been to my New York flat and my Washington townhouse, but you have never come all the way out here to bother me," I say as I lean down to my lower cabinet grabbing out a bottle of whiskey.

"What are you doing?"

"Well, Uncle Nick, you have now driven me to drink, so what do you need?"

"This is important. I don't think this is really the time to-" Fury states

"Really?" I asked, cutting him off, "You don't think this is the time to drink. You come here and now we're probably going to ruin the month-long vacation that I have been playing for the past, oh I don't know, six months with the only living family members that I have left so no offense. I'm going to drink."

"Fine. Do you remember the Tesseract project?"

"Yes, of course, I remember the Tesseract," I say thinking back to all the different files I had read regarding the project that I was read in on during my hospital stay a few months back. "I remember you bringing - uhm - what's-his-face, the doctor from New Mexico, in on the project a couple of months back."

Fury nodded his head. "Are you still trying to use 'clean energy' as the cover, or are you finally on to Phase 2? I ask, just before I take another sip of my whiskey.

"I know you think Phase 2 is-"

"Phase 2, is what, Fury? Dangerous, destructive, overall just insane?"

"You make it sound like we don't need this," He says trying to defend his actions, "You make it sound like we don't constantly evolve."

"Come on, Fury! People created new technology like this on the basis of safety and then it gets used for other purposes. Don't you remember what happened Stark a few years ago he found out his entire company selling weapons to terrorists?" I ask

"This is different."

I just rolled my eyes, knowing we were never going to agree on this. "So what bullshit did you do with the Tesseract this time? Blow up a small town? Create a portal to another dimension? Create a hybrid puppy that murders people for fun?"

"You're close on your first two guesses," He states coldly.

"Goddammit, Fury! What did you fucking do?" I exclaim pouring myself another shot

"The Tesseract turned itself on creating a doorway to the other side of space," He explained a pulls up the photos of the aftermath. "And what popped out was a murderous Asgardian."