Chapter 10

"A war that can mean death for Nathan and I..." I gasped in horror, my heart thumping against my chest.

This isn't good.

"I know what you're thinking. Trust me, what I told you just now is not any better than what—"

"What in the world could be worse than Nathan and I dying tragically in the future? Can you explain that to me?!" My voice rose an octave as I snapped at her.

I probably was being irrational and bitchy, but I didn't care. The situation was very serious.

For the first twenty four hours since I met my strange grandmother, she was silent.

"Care to elaborate more on that?" I awaited her response.

"Witches can control people, including werewolves, by using their minds. A war between the two can be very perilous. The witches will surely take that power to their advantage."

I bit my lip nervously, "Can werewolves fight against the control?"

"Some can, but some cannot. It would take a great amount of power for someone to resist a witch's control."

"Does that mean Nathan was being controlled in my vision? Is there anything I can do to change it?"

"Only time will tell," Esme said calmly.

My face flamed up as I felt anger consume me, "So you're telling me I should just sit and wait until this," I point to the number on my neck, "goes all the way down and Nathan and I die? I won't stand up for it. It's bullshįt!"

Esme rubbed her head, an irritated expression on her face. "Would you just calm down and listen to me?"

"What you're telling me is ridiculous!" I growled.

Esme mumbled something along the line of me being a 'stubborn' child.

"I'm going to explain whether you listen or not," she paused, "What I meant by that is the future can change. Your future isn't set in stone, but unless someone or something screws up the pattern leading to that future , it won't happen."

I calmed down a bit after her explanation and sighed in exhaustion. "I'm sorry for acting like a bitch," I apologized.

"Apology accepted," Esme smiled.

There was complete silence for a moment before I heard keys jingling downstairs. I smelled the scent of my mother and father fill the house and I mentally cringed. They were not going to be happy when they found out what occurred.

"Prepare yourself," Esme shook her head.

I quickly got up and rushed downstairs with Esme following right behind me. As soon as I reach the bottom, my parents stared behind me with open mouths.

"Close your mouth before a fly goes in it," Esme smirked at their reaction.

My parents looked at me then to Nathan, who was standing awkwardly by the couch, and then back to my grandmother.

"What on earth is going on here?" My father's loud voice rumbled through the house, making me grimace.

My mother gasped and stared at me in horror, "You looked at the moon."