Chapter 8: Inconvenient Nightmares

Chloe was happily asleep with Lucifer beside her, although she woke up sensing was something wrong with her daughter; what with her being a former cop her instincts took over and was about to voice this to wake up her lover when there high piercing scream of the word "dad" came out. She was about to get out of bed when her boyfriend stopped her.

"It's all right... I've got it. I'm sure the small urchin had a nightmare. Nothing to fuss over." Lucifer stated still half asleep of being woken up by His unofficial stepdaughter.

"Lucifer... you don't have to do that. Let me do it and you just-"

"If you think I'm not going to attend to my unofficial (step) daughter and go back to sleep, you could not be any more wrong, for me sake, I'm just as much as a parent as you are." Chloe sighs and felt her shoulders drop as if they were held up by invisible strings from him wanting to help her out; I mean for god sake we're partners after both regarding work and life. She mutters before dropping back into her bed and waits for him to return to bed with her.

~

Once Lucifer got to the last step of the stairs and heard Trixie's quiet sobs through the wooden door. He knocks first, unsure, whether to do that or just go in. What would Chloe do? Probably just walk straight into her room. Regardless of that, he didn't want to come off as intrusive on the 11-year-old's emotional state at the moment. "Trixie? Darling? Is everything ok?" Lucifer asked his tone dropping to a fatherly tone than he would normally allow him to have.

"Everything's fine Lucifer," Trixie called back softly, however with Him being omniscient he knew she wasn't okay and that despite the mask behind her voice, he can sense that she wants to talk about it.

"Well... can I come in?" Trixie paused for a moment and nodded before realising he can't see her do that (although he can probably sense it 😂)

"Yes..." Lucifer pulls the sliding door to step into her room before closing it behind him. "You don't need to ask, you know, you can just come in like what mom does."

"I didn't want to come off as intrusive; especially given with how you snapped at me about replacing your father, which you know, I would never do, right?"

"I know, I'm sorry, Lucifer, I didn't mean anything by it... I was just... angry and hurt." Lucifer chuckled at her

"Like when you kicked me and said my hair was stupid?"

"Exactly. Doesn't give me the right to do that to you though regardless of how I'm feeling."

"Have you been taking some advice from Linda?"

"Yeah and mom."

"As much I love our little bonding time I need to ask you as an unofficial (step) dad if everything is ok honestly..."

"I had a nightmare about... dad."

"Oh, Trixie." Lucifer comes closer and sits with her on the bed, embracing her in a fatherly hug. She rests her head on his shoulder. "Do you want to talk about it?" She shrugged.

"It's not fair Lucifer. Why did he have to die?"

"I know it's not fair, sweetheart, but you know with your dad's line of work that this would happen; being a cop is a very dangerous job to do."