Chapter 10

"And you know what?" I slurred, taking another shot of vodka. "She's going to abort my baby... Mine"

"Alright, buddy. Its closing time," the shifting four bartenders said. They were dressed identically, and overlapped each other like an optical illusion. When I closed my eyes for a few seconds and opened them again, they merged into a single person. I was seeing quadruple; it was probably time to go home.

I woke up to an empty bed and a killer headache. I had gotten pretty trashed last. Sighing, I get up and walk to the kitchen and grab a bottle of water, 3 ibuprofen, and my sunglasses. After downing the pills, I slide glasses on and walk back to my room.

Wheres Mel? I thought, looking around until I spot a note. I read and reread the note, and I felt my heart break in half both times. I carefully set the note on my night stand, and pick up my phone. I quickly dial her number and wait in anticipation as the dial tone kept ringing.

"Hello Daniel" She said tiredly. It felt so good to hear her voice nonetheless.

"Why did you leave?" I asked, fighting back the tears. I shouldn't have been drinking.

"I-I couldn't stay with you. You scared me so bad, Daniel. Anyways, I really need my mom more than ever."

"Mel, I'm so sorry. I was scared---mad, even---that you were going to abort our baby. I swear, I didn't mean it. You know I would never hurt you. This will never happen again. please come home," I pleaded, wiping a stray tear.

There was a pause.

"Goodbye, Daniel," She said softly, and the line went dead.

"Fuck this shit!" I yell, grabbing my keys and walking to my car.

I drive to the nearest pub and order a beer. Six drinks later, I'm pouring my heart out to the nearest whore in a short dress. She's wearing red and smells like rosewater. She doesn't say much---just sits and listens, and occasionally gives me a reassuring "uh-huh"---but, for some reason, I feel oddly interested in her.

"But I can't believe I messed this all up," I tell her, staring at my hands tipping the bottle back and forth. Had I really drank that many?

"I know how to make you feel better," she cooed, grabbing my hand. I stared at her and stumbled along as she led me to her car. We arrive at some cheap, old motel and I stare at the aged walls as she goes inside to book a room. She comes back out and takes me by both hands, putting them on her thin waist and hips as she moves.

We arrive at the room, and she throws me on the bed and walks over to a machine and drops in a quarter. The bed starts vibrating. For some reason, my mind wanders back to a time when someone told me about 1970's motels, and how vibrating machines for beds were all the rage back then, and I begin to wonder just how old the building really was. I spread out to relax, and then I notice she was on top of me.

"But I love Mel!" I slur, trying to get up. She gently pushes on my chest and I lay down again. She unzips the low-backed dress of hers, and crushes her breasts together so it slips off of her without any effort.

"Well," she says, pressing her lips into the sensitive neck region below my ear. I felt my heart beat faster than before. "Tonight you're loving me."