Chapter Twelve

It couldn't be done. Not safely. Not while also getting the sleep she so desperately needed.

Ziza had been travelling for a few days now and had yet to find a safe place to sleep. She would rest, in some form of hiding place or shelter, during the night to stay away from any merfolk that might be in her general vicinity, but finding a safe place to sleep was another matter entirely.

Hidden caves with air pockets weren't exactly situated around every corner.

Ziza couldn't stay awake much longer. She had to pause in her travels to find someplace safe to rest more than just physically. She needed to sleep. For a long time.

It wasn't safe to be travelling the way she was without proper rest. Why hadn't she considered how dangerous it would be to travel without knowing where she'd be able to sleep? She hadn't thought about it, hadn't considered that very unknowable part of her journey to get to Ky.

Him and being with him had been her only real considerations.

Why hadn't she thought of it? she berated herself again. Why hadn't she considered the sheer magnitude of what she'd agreed to do at all? Her heart was leading the way, not her head—a dangerous way to live.

She hadn't even given much thought to Zarina or her parents, who had, for so long, been her only true company. She loved them and would miss them desperately, but, somehow, needing to be with Ky had eclipsed even their importance in her life. She'd stopped in on them, during the day when everyone would be safely tucked away, but Zarina hadn't been there.

She'd spent a solid hour with her parents, having a long, drawn out and tearful goodbye before she left.

They agreed, reluctantly, to send her love to Zarina without telling her where she was going. If Zarina knew, Keenan would know and Ziza couldn't risk that.

Now she just had to make it to Ky without getting eaten, caught, spotted, or drowned.

Totally doable.

Yeah. Right.

Totally.

~*~

Ky was doing significantly better on his end. He began getting things organized the moment he returned home from the airport and was far ahead of schedule, having almost everything in place within the first two weeks.

He put in for a transfer with his job, began packing and selling as much as he could of his belongings until he had whittled it down to a manageable amount of clothing and items, gave notice at his apartment, then took out a loan to buy a house-boat.

He moved into the house-boat near what would soon be his new workplace and looked into getting a smaller, faster boat that he could use to go up to Anticosti island to pick Ziza up.

His only job then was to put together the sign that Ziza would recognize so she would know it was him.

Once that was done, it was just a matter of time.

501 Words