Day 14

Wednesday, May 23rd

I locked the doors before Mitch could get out, trapping him in the car with me. "Just... Let me do the talking, okay?" I had no idea how Addy would react, considering our last conversation about Mitch. It was very possible that she would think my life was in danger and try to hurt him, despite their vast differences in heights. Addy was always tougher than her height.

Mitch rolled his eyes like he thought I was overreacting.

"I'm serious. Addy isn't someone you want to mess with."

I thought he would come back with an oh-so-witty retort, but instead he sighed. "Fine. You take the lead on this one."

There was no sarcasm in his voice to indicate annoyance, and his face was calm and serious. This was a new level of respect I had yet to see from him. I liked it.

"Oh...kay. Yeah, alright. Let's go." I unlocked the car and we walked up to Addy's front porch. Mitch stood patiently beside me, and I desperately hoped he wouldn't try anything that versed what he said he'd do in the car. It would be just like him to do the opposite to spite me. Steeling myself, I rang the doorbell and held my breath.

Jiang opened the door, a bright smile lighting up his face when he noticed it was me. "Elle! It's great to see you again." He embraced me lightly before shouting Addy's name over his shoulder. He held out his hand for Mitch to shake. "Hey, I'm Jiang."

"Mitch." He politely returned Jiang's handshake. So far, so good.

"I assume you're here because Addison told you the big news?" Jiang's face was alight with excitement, happiness practically radiating off him.

"No, actually. What's the big news?" I asked.

His face fell slightly, but not enough to dull his attitude. "I'll let her tell you. She's really excited to. Come on in."

I stepped into their home, watching Addy bound down the hallway as soon as she realized it was me. I knew exactly when she had spotted Mitch because she stopped dead in her tracks, her face dropping into a worried frown. She approached slowly like predator to prey. Mitch's brows furrowed deeper the more his eyeline kept lowering to accommodate her height.

"Elle..." Addy said, her eyes never leaving Mitch's.

"I know what you're thinking. But give me a chance to explain first." I pushed her into the next room, leaving Jiang to entertain Mitch. I hoped that wasn't a bad idea.

"Is that-?" Her voice bordered on squealing.

"Yes. It's him. But you can trust him."

"Trust him?! He's MA!"

I fidgeted on my feet. "About that... He's actually not. Turns out Greg Murphy was moonlighting as Gary Moore, a recruiter for MA, and I've actually been the one working for them this entire time. Mitch is CIA, so now I'm kinda playing both sides of the board to get information and really it's all a mess, but I think we're getting close to being able to stop them, and I need your help. We need your help."

Her eyes were blank, and I realized how fast I'd been talking. Knowing her, she easily kept up with me. Her expression was simply shock. Slowly, she leaned in, dropping her voice to a whisper as she placed a delicate hand on my arm. "Elle. You know I love you. Use our code word if you're in any danger with him. I'll call the police right now."

Our code word was Sweetwater, a small town in Texas that was literally never brought up in genuine conversation. We came up with it in college after her date went awry. Neither of us have ever actually used it, but it was in place just in case.