Prologue

May 10th, 2021 - CPD Intelligence Headquarters
Matt's POV: As I helped Gabby upstairs to the intelligence division, I sighed as we held each other close while Matteo was in his stroller. I then walked in to see Antonio and Sylvie there with his kids and ex-wife as well. "Sad that you are going to the cabin for this instead of your wedding?" Sylvie then turned to look at me and sighed. "Yes, I would prefer to be at the cabin for our wedding but...if this is what's required for safety, then yes...we are going there. Same bedrooms by the way." I then looked at her. "Where is Laura staying?"

Laura then turned around and looked at us. "Oh, I am staying at a hotel down the street. However, I am coming since they have a great lake apparently." That's when I heard Will and Natalie come in. "Oh the lake is amazing, you are going to have fun while we are up there. I'm going to get the boat ready." Natalie then looked at him. "No, you are going to let Jay get the boat ready. Sorry but...I am already stressed as it is. I don't need to worry about you getting hurt with something that you don't do that much." Natalie then looked at me and Gabby. "Is it just the two of you or is your surrogate coming as well?"

I sighed and looked at her. "She is staying here. So, we are hoping that this wraps up soon because we want to be back here as soon as possible." We all nodded and agreed when we heard Hank come out. "Okay listen up everybody. We all know that we have some people here that aren't CPD but...we are going to fill you in as you are all potential targets. But before we begin, I want to let Erin introduce you all to somebody." Erin laughed when she came out with a woman. "Guys, I want to introduce you to Captain Olivia Benson and Det. Amanda Rollins. They are from the NYPD and are working with us on this case."

Olivia then looked at us all. "And, I would like to introduce you to my very good friend and someone who is the premier expert in these types of cases, my former mentor...Sr. Detective Elliot Stabler, head of the NYPD Organized Crime Division." Elliot then laughed when Olivia said that. "Olivia, you are embarrassing me. But, I love the compliment. Now listen, we are up against an international crime ring. And unfortunately, you have all become victims. And while we are putting you in protection, we are not going to be there. So, treat this as a vacation. You already have 2 cops there to protect you and it is private. I just hope you brought enough clothes."

Gabby laughed when he said that. "I am planning on staying until my brother's wedding there in a month so...we aren't leaving there for at least 5 weeks. We got time off thanks to Hank's help and it's going to be fun. Unfortunately, it means we have to cancel our babymoon/family trip to Los Angeles this summer." Olivia then looked at Gabby. "Okay, sorry I am going to forget all of your names." That's when Antonio looked at her. "Olivia, that's my sister Gabby and her husband Matt." Olivia then turned to look at Antonio. "Okay, that's easy to remember. Antonio's sister." 

Olivia then looked at us all. "Okay, now to get this started. Here's the thing. We have no idea how dangerous these guys are and that's why you are all going there. Other than your work, you are allowed to tell 1 person. Have you all done that?" Matt nodded and agreed. "Yeah. But, our work is our friends so...it's multiple people." Olivia sighed and looked at him. "Whatever, as long as you are safe. Now he's there next part...you are all going to be monitored. You are not to leave the property. We will do the shopping. Basically treat this as if you are in witness protection."

I nodded and agreed with her when Sylvie spoke up. "Just curious, do we need to stop contact with other families that are not here with us? Like my mom and stuff or can I tell her?" Antonio then went to walk over to her and sighed. "Sylvie, she is going to be nearby at a hotel...I promise. She will be there at our wedding." Sylvie nodded and agreed. "Thanks." Olivia then continued. "Now I know there are some doctors on hand. We wanted to let you know that you have permission to act as doctors up there. If anything happens, you can do whatever you need to."

Will and Natalie both nodded and agreed, liking that. Olivia then looked at us all. "Listen, I am so sorry that you have to go through this but I promise, you will be safe and protected. And you can use the lake. Basically pretend as if everything is normal up there. You are completely safe." We all nodded and agreed. "Now one last time, you are all stuck together until we deem you are safe. So go enjoy being stuck in the beautiful northern Indiana wilderness." We all laughed and agreed when they said that. Jay then looked at us. "I am leading. You guys can all follow okay? Go outside, I just need to talk to Antonio and Hank quickly."

Everybody nodded and agreed when Jay said that. Making our way outside, I smiled as we prepared to go to the cabin with our friends.