Chapter Ten

Persephone blinked. Then blinked again. "...me?" she repeated, confused. "He...because of me?" She was confused as she looked down at herself-a big, curvy girl, with russet brown skin and long raven black hair that were curled in the end. She was the descendant of the sea witch Cyrena, and was also her ex-husband's amplifier. Persephone was the mother of the first hybrid in existence in White Hollow, and yet the Queen of Air and Darkness told her that her husband made a deal because of her.

Mab nodded. "Yes, you," she answered matter-of-factly. "He loves you so much, girl, and he would do anything to keep you safe and keep you alive, and out of the clutches of that demon. Apparently, he's been doing a bang-up job, if I say so myself. Lincoln Sawyer is my soldier, after all. But his love for you...changed him. I hope you know that."

She nodded, still in shock.

"We shall speak later. For now...keep this information between us." A simple little hand wave, shadows snaking around them. "Go to your husband. Love him as much as you can, my girl. We will meet again soon...."

~

Hazel eyes opened to her husband slipping in bed right next to her. She reached out and tugged him close to her, placing a soft kiss on his lips, making him groan deep in his throat. "Now what's that for?" Lincoln asked, his voice a deep southern growl that tickled her ear. "It can't be because you miss me-it gotta be somethin' else."

"In the morning," Posey whispered against his lips. "We'll talk in the morning, my wolf."

Lincoln just nodded, pulling her against his chest so she can hear his heartbeat. "You okay?" he asked, looking down at her, but she was already asleep, dozing off. He ran his fingers through her hair and sighed before placing a soft kiss on her forehead. "Goodnight, Posey." He whispered before falling asleep himself.

The next morning was a little quiet morning in the Sawyer house-Persephone woke up to fix breakfast for the two of them, and Lincoln was asleep in bed. He woke up to the smells of pancakes and sausage-two things he loved more than ever in the world-and started to get up. But then she came in the room, carrying a huge tray with orange juice for him and coffee for her, and sat in down on the bed and climbing back in. He'd also noticed that she was wearing his button down shirt, making him horny all over again.

They ate in silence for a while before she broke it. "Why did you make that deal?" Persephone asked, making the fork stop near Link's mouth.

Shit. He put the fork down and sighed. "He told you, didn't he?" he asked, having a feeling who was Posey's visitor last night. Lincoln licked his lips before he answered. "I made that deal with Mab because I couldn't live without you."

Her shaky breath came out, and he knew she was about to cry. "He told me...Nik told me...and I was angry. So damned angry at you for keeping this secret from me. And then-" she stopped as the tears started to come down, and she had to take a deep breath. "And then he said he wanted me to help him kill the Queen...so he can kill you in the process. All...all in the bloody name of love."

Squeezing his eyes shut and rubbing the bridge of his nose, Lincoln couldn't even believe it. "It doesn't go like that," he groaned. "You can't just kill the queen and me in the process. If that happens, then the chains will break and I'll instantly die and then Aslan would die too."

"What did you just say?"

Oh...shit. Shit, shit, shit. He fucked up. He slowly turned to her. "Posey....Posey, don't-"

"Our son will die even if...even if he..." The tears started to fall down harder with each word, and Lincoln quickly shook his head. Aslan was their first child together, and he hated it that Mab added that damned stipulation when he made the deal with her. He should've just told her to end it if this is going to cause Persephone so much pain.