Chapter 9

So as cliche as it may be I've had a bit of an 'ah' moment. Sitting in my car, on my birthday, crying over a picture of my mom kind of snapped me back into reality.

I'm a big girl. It's been 8 years and he's in jail. I'm okay and I'm lucky to be alive, so I should live like it. That's what my mom would want. I've decided that I'd give Parker a chance. That's the least he deserves. After my little heart to heart with a picture, I drove back to the dorm. It was around 1 in the afternoon now and I expect I'll have the the apartment to myself. I could hear whispering from inside which was odd but whatever. I look through my bag for my key and in the process I spitl my entire purse on the floor. Great.

FInally I found the key and opened up the door. I dropped my bag once again. "SUPRISE!!" I feel myself crying again. Looking around the room Drew and Charlotte and Alex and Elli. Plus Parker, Jay, Kat, and a girl named Sumner from my Music/lab. Theres also a few other guys and girls from some of my classes. Everyone looked happy and they all had on those silly party hats that someone had written a 9 on so they said 19 instead of 1.

Right in front holding another party hat was Parker. He had on his goofy little grin on his face. I could see that he was trying to make sure that all of this was okay. I felt myself begin to laugh and out of no where I pulled him into a big hug. Unlike some people may have been, he wasn't taken back, he didn't stiffen up at the unusaul contact. Parker immediately hugged me back, nearly crushing me. I melted into the hug. I felt as though the room was spinning and no one else was there. I normally shyed away from any sort of contact, but here I was hugging Parker. I was pulled back into reality as I heard the people around us oh-ing and ah-ing over us. "Happy birthday Angel," Parker whispered as he pulled away. He place the stupid hat on my head and kissed my cheek. Then turns to the room and yells, "I thought this was a party. Lets Dance!" I laugh at his quote. Kevin Bacon and Footloose, I think I like Parker more than I thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mingled a bit before I finally made it to Drew. He was just about to leave because Charlotte needed to get the kids to bed. "I'm really proud of you Lib. But I don't understand what changed. I talked to you two days ago and now you're having a party and you're all lovey dovey with that boy."

"We're not lovey dovey Drew," I said as I rolled my eyes. "I just... I had a talk with mom. And I cried and I didn't even make it to the cemetery. I just sat on the side of the high way bawling my eye out to a picture. But surprisingly it helped. I know that he is in prison. That I have you and Charlotte if I ever need anything. And I know that I want more than just being afraid of boy."