Half-angel, half-devil

*

*

*

Shelby observed the woman carefully as she stood by the door. Rosalie D'Angelo was widely known around the city. Somehow a legend, yet, at the same, a tale told to children when the night fell. However, the woman standing didn't seem quite close to the legend her name and position held. She could barely stand on her feet, covered in blues and yellows, completely unarmed. Her shirt had speckles of blood and mud. Even though she didn't quite look like the monster, she was always described. Her beauty was definitely up to the stories.

Though Thomas met dozens of women throughout his life, some of them were real beauty, he never saw a face like this. She looked like a perfectly crafted doll with her dark long curly hair framing her heart-shaped face where two obsidian orbs were staring right back at him. Even with her features ruined by the heavy bruises, she still managed to look prettier than any woman he ever knew. Even Grace, the new barmaid he decided to employ mainly for her pretty face, wasn't a match for the Madonna at the door.

An angel, he vaguely thought before returning her stare, making him change his mind. Not quite angel with such cold eyes, he mentally decided, half-angel, half-devil, then.

"Seems like someone finally woke up," he finally recovered his voice as he returned the smirk.

"Thank you for finding me and letting me stay at your place," she immediately started, coming closer to the two brothers. Thomas would have laughed at his brother's face when she came close; his jaw was about to touch the floor.

"I also came to ask questions," she continued, not waiting for his answer. He looked at her; he knew he needed to be careful with her. She was more powerful than he was and than most men were. If his answers didn't please her, there could be retaliation. Yet, the prospect of interrogation with her intensely annoyed him. He definitely wasn't used to being ordered around, especially on his own territory.

His irritation might have shown on his features when she slightly tilted her face, and her smirk grew broader.

"Do I need to say please?" She wondered softly, a unique glint in her dark eyes. That made Arthur laugh so intensely he had to hold his stomach.