6 | FREE SPIRIT

"I belong deeply to myself."

- (w)arsan (s)hire

"It's been days— why am I just now seeing you?" Esi clicked her tongue to the roof of her mouth

"It's been days— why am I just now seeing you?" Esi clicked her tongue to the roof of her mouth. " And we call each other best friends." We walked down the street, leaving from one of the markets in the city. After having N'Jadaka staying with me, I realized that I'd probably have to keep more food inside the house than I actually needed. I eat, but I don't eat as often as he seems to.

"I've been busy, my love. Plus, you know I don't really like coming into the city of Wakanda that often. The people look at you crazy or look too much." I walked towards a section of fruits, looking at all of the tropical ones that we'd occasionally get. Pineapples ended up being one of them that I used a little bit too much. I put five of them into the bag that I had. "But I will make more of an effort to stop through, I know it's been a while."

Esi gave me a simple smile, continuing to look at her list of items. "Also, a little birdie told me, that you had a visitor stop by to speak to you." She sang.

"Tell M'Baku he's not much of a 'little birdie', rather a large eagle." I chuckled. I already knew that if T'Challa was to tell anyone, he'd tell M'Baku's ass. "But yes. He stopped by to give his usual apology speech, to make his ego a little bigger day by day. I'm not surprised."

"That man is always going to hold a special place in the back of his mind for you."

"They always do, and I wish they wouldn't."

"Like Akira." Esi smirked, mentioning the woman's name, and laughed at the shutter that erupted from my body. "Ah, you definitely remember Akira."

"I try everyday to forget Akira, and one day, you all will let me." I smiled annoyingly, running my fingers through the rack of seasonings.

Akira was a situationship that had gone wrong. She was a sweet girl, but eventually found herself getting too emotionally invested, too soon. And till this day, she sees me as the problem— however, she makes it known that feelings are still there. I've moved on from the situation. Esi is strongly convinced that I did something to everyone that I've been with, for them to act this way. On occasions, I'd see Akira when I would come to town or even be out with Esi and the others. Some days, she'll speak. Other days, she'll look at me like I put a dead animal on her doorstep.