Chapter Seven

We really didn't know what we were doing. That much was evident. While I was determined to find out what happened to Jimmy Grabowski, what exactly were we going to do when we caught the elf? We couldn't exactly hold her hostage, could we?

Man, this was how characters got into trouble all the time on TV. I didn't think it was actually possible.

I slid through the underbrush, hopping over fallen tree limbs without a sound. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Wyatt's chocolate-brown form as he flanked Dad on the main path.

Peering through the trunks of trees, I noticed that there was an old utility shed up ahead. Situated away from most park patrons, it was painted a slate blue-grey color with black shingles. Patches of moss grew in abundance on the side of roof that faced the woods. The door was a simple slab of wood painted the same colors as the exterior; a sign hung below a tiny window.

There was flash of red and a bottle-brush tail; Garnet wriggled out from God-knew-where and began circling the shed.

No ... it couldn't be that easy—could it?

**Hold,** Dad breathed.

I stopped immediately and sank to my belly in the fallen leaves, muzzle on crossed forepaws.

**She's in there,** Garnet called back.

My ears pricked up, followed by my head. **Garnet says she's in there,** I relayed.

Wyatt rose from his crouch. **So let's get her!**

**Sit down,** Dad growled.

My father was a natural authority figure to me, of course, but I'd never heard that sort of command from him in all of my twenty-three years. Wyatt immediately returned to his earlier position without further comment.

**Wow, Uncle Terry,** Lucas murmured, awed. **Look who decided to go full Wild Kingdom.**

Dad glared at him, then returned his attention to the shed.

I turned to Garnet. **Hey, Dad says ...** My telepathic sending trailed off into the ether. Garnet was nowhere to be found. Frantic, I spun around, trying to catch a glimpse of a giant red vixen among the greenery.

**What's wrong?** Mom inquired.

**Garnet—**

Just then, I spotted her. For someone who suggested that we call the cops, my best friend decided it would be a good idea to wriggle through one of the windows that had been strangely left ajar.

Oh, shit.

A scream that sounded all-too human rattled the shingles of the shed. Leaping to my feet, I bounded forward and jumped onto the main path. The door to the shed burst open and the elven woman sprinted outside—only to slide to a stop, arms pin-wheeling in an effort to keep her balance. Garnet popped out of the door right behind her, fur puffed out so that the oversized vixen appeared even larger.

Silver eyes wide and wild, she froze at the sight of a cluster of wolves and big cats that were just as surprised as to see her. That hesitation lasted only a split second. With a shout, she twisted her hands, clawlike, violently jerking them upwards as if ripping something up from the ground.

I barely had time to process the gesture when strands of grass bordering the path suddenly sprouted to life, growing at a rapid pace. Grunting, the elf woman jabbed the palms of her hands at us and the grass followed her commands.

Hissing with shock, I jumped backwards as a cluster of weeds shot out to snake around my left forepaw. The howls and growls of my family echoed in my ears as I lunged, fangs bared, to rip the grass away. As I spun, another cluster shot out and wrapped around my tail.