04 | Recommendation

Despite a lifetime spent gazing up at the hill where U.A. stood, this was my first time passing through its gates. Being the top academy in not only the country, but the world, they had been careful to keep an air of mystery surrounding them. Gates on the base of the hill, entrance exams on third party locations, and no journalists under any circumstances. I think that's one of the reasons that their annual Sports Festival is so popular. It's the only glimpse into the rising heroes that the world can grab.

Well, the Sports Festival and, this year, an attack on the USJ. The same handful of images from immediately after has been circulating the internet all week. Students from the hero course lined up in front of the training center after being held hostage by an unnamed threat, talking to the police. Of course, All Might had been the one to personally diffuse the situation. Nobody knew if any of the students were attacked or who the villain was. Only two things were mentioned in the official press release. First was a claim that the security breach had been due to a special quirk that "couldn't be foreseen" – which sparked some debates about the safety of the students. And secondly, that the target was not the students but the pro-heroes. Of which, only one was seriously injured, though the hero's face wasn't shown in any of the articles.

Walking through the halls of the school, though, I recognize that U.A.'s claims are true. Cameras were stationed on every corner, each door needing a pass-card to enter. To get in, it truly had to have been an act of God – or an act of a powerful quirk.

"Remember, we are representing your father in there," Ms. Tsukiama warns me as we park in front of a door reading 'master office'. She glances down at me, mindlessly tucking a stray hair behind my ear. "And, let me do the talking."

There's something unusual about the office when we enter. Actually, a lot of unusual things. Like a pet bed in the corner, surrounded by toys for all kinds of animals. On the desk, there is a jar of biscuits and a stray laser pointer. I raise an eyebrow before catching sight of the three people behind the desk. Immediately, my eyes latch onto Midnight. I hadn't seen her in years. Growing up, she would come to monthly dinners with our family, since she was the source of our success. It's the reason I call her my aunt, she was always there. Until, of course, my mother passed. Once my father stopped showing up, she did, too.

Now, she gives me a wide smile, walking around the desk to catch me in a hug.

"I'm so excited you're here, sweetheart!" She greets me warmly. I wait to respond until she backs up. It wasn't just a polite action – her chest managed to fall exactly at my face level. It's a common problem with my height. You're always at an awkward angle during hugs, handshakes, or kisses.

"I'm glad to see you, too, Aunt Nemuri," I reply when she releases me, sitting on the plush chair before the desk and finally taking in the other two people. To the left of the desk is a scrawny man, utterly swallowed by his yellow suit. His eyes are almost black under the shadow of his sharp angles.

And, in the chair, is a rat. Okay, he's not a rat, but I'm not entirely sure what he is. Despite the warning from Ms. Tsukiama in the car that the leadership at U.A. is unusual, I would have never expected the man behind the desk to wear both a red collar as well as a nice suit. He smiles politely toward me, small fangs glistening in the light.

"Wonderful to have you here! As you can probably assume, I am Principal Nezu," He greets, steepling his fingers on the desk. "You're probably wondering if I am a cat or a mouse. I can promise you that it doesn't matter, so long as I care for all of the students here."

He then nods to the blonde to his left and Aunt Nemuri, telling me that they're here as a council to vouch for my recommendation. I'm not entirely sure what that entails, or why the blonde was chosen, but Ms. Tsukiama takes it in stride.