Chapter Thirty-Eight

We all lifted our faces to look at the villain. I'm once again faced with an understanding. Maybe it was a stereotype, but whenever I thought about villains I imagined malnourished, hobo-like people. Not the civilized typed that I've been seeing tonight.

The villain raised a small marble, showing off his prize. Could that possibly be Katsuki? He started tossing it around carelessly. If he dropped it right now, it would take hours to find in the forest brush.

"Such talent doesn't belong on the hero side." He said casually. Taking up our inability to attack to put on a show. "We'll take him to a stage where he can shine better."

I realize the villain's purpose. This wasn't just a random attack to break future hero spirits. It was a very calculated step that wouldn't just break us. It'll give them an advantage.

A reality builds itself up in my head without my permission. Katsuki, standing on the same side as the villains. Finally being able to take justice into his own hands, no rules, or social standards to follow. Would he attack us? Or would he just turn a blind eye to his old friends as enemies?

The words I want to scream denied to come. Words in general failed me. I can't muster a single profanity to scream at this asshole.

"Give him back, dammit!" Izuku speaks for me.

"'Give him back'? That's a strange thing to say. Bakugou doesn't belong to anybody. He's his person, you egoist."

"Of course he's his own person!" I bark, not bothering to strain my voice. If the villain wanted to hear, he would. "That's exactly why he won't follow you. As soon as you give him any freedom, your head will be scarred with explosions."

"That's quite an assumption." I watch the form closely. Intricate steps from left to right, left to right. All the while the marble dances through the air. "Who's to say that Bakugou won't join?"

"Move," Shoto growls at me. I manage to move out of his way, but I can't go too far. My body strains toward the marble. Toward the small possibility Katsuki could be crystalized inside.

Shoto's stance is oh so familiar. I'm so used to being on the other side of it now, it feels unnatural to watch my sparring partner directing it elsewhere. Chill creeps toward the sky, followed by a dangerous, dark spike of ice. The tree the villain was on cracks under the attack, but when the steam clears he isn't there.

"We simply want to show the boy that the path he's on now, with fantastical values, isn't the only option." His voice rings out kindly. The sound leads to where he lands gracefully on top of a tree to my left. "Kids these days are forced to choose paths based on society's values.

"It's not just Bakugou," Shoji yelped, spinning around. "Tokoyami's not here, either!"

Dammit, these guys are shit bodyguards!

"To go out of your way to talk to us," Shoto muttered, staring at the villain. "You're underestimating us."

Shoto's right. Why would he so blatantly talk to us? He doesn't have anything to gain. From the way Izuku specifically said he was protecting Katsuki, that meant that was his target. He had it, why is he still here? Something is missing.

"I was originally an entertainer, you know?" The villain mumbled, now bringing the marble into view. "It's a bad habit to have. Tokoyami was just some bad improvisation."

He angled his hand so the marble disappeared, and when he brought it back, there were two of them. Can we get both of them? If not, which one? How could we decide?

"You bastard!" Izuku's voice breaks. "Don't take them!"

"Izuku..." I whisper. If he made such a powerful quirk angry, we may not make it out again.