XIII

There were lanterns, pillows, and even a picnic basket. I looked around the spread and just wondered how I could be so lucky.

Nick handed me a pillow, "Here. You can just...um...sit on it?" He stopped and continued, "No, you can just hold it. Sorry." He chuckled before taking out the food from the picnic basket.

He prepared a cheese platter which he seemed to have filled with various meats, breads, crackers, fruits, and cheeses. Nick was quiet while he did this and was pretty into it. He plated it nicely and then took out a packed pasta dish.

"Oh wow, did you cook that?" I took in its amazing garlic scent when he opened it. Did he cook that at home? It wasn't packed from a well-known restaurant so did he make it himself?

Nick looked at me with a grin, "I don't cook. Mom helped me out." When he mentioned he had help from his mom, a flush of color appeared on his cheek.

I thought it was sweet that he asked for help. The entire thing was full of effort and thought.

"So most of these are either my mom's cooking or something I bought." He grinned, "Hang on. Are you already hungry? I'll just take out dessert and we'll be set."

He took out these beautiful little fruit tarts.

"Bought?"
"Mom."

We smiled at each other.

"Alright." He grinned at his lay out and turned to me. "Now you can eat."

I giggled, "This is amazing, Nick. Thank you." I was actually expecting the usual dinner out in a restaurant, probably something new from the burger place we used to frequent in.

He gave me a smile, "I honestly don't want the date to be ordinary. I wanted to give you something unexpected."

"Oh this backyard date is really unexpected." I agreed before reaching out for a piece of meat.

He took a slice of bread, "So, Sel told me it was your last day. How was it?"

"It was fun but definitely sad because I will miss working with everybody." I told him, "I'll start doing auditions again soon so I have something to do while I wait for the premier."

"I'm sure Disney will give you something." He assured me. "Oh and I already have your tickets for the concert. Remind me to give them to you later."

"Thanks."

And then we continued eating in silence. It might be because it was the first time we went out without Joe to make conversation. He was always the one to lead us from one topic to another.

Nick took one plate and filled it with pasta. He offered it to me and I grinned. I was excited to try this out.

The pasta his mother cooked was so good. Maybe even better than what they serve in restaurants. "Nick, this is just...wow." I told him after one bite.

"Mom is an amazing cook." He agreed while getting himself a plate.

Then we succumbed to another moment of silence.

I panicked, wondering if these bouts of silence is enough to make Nick think I'm boring. I have to think of something we can talk about ASAP.

My eyes wandered from the picnic basket to the charcuterie board to...

"You brought your guitar?"

"Oh." Nick turned pink, "I did. I knew I'd be nervous while waiting so I was playing something before you arrived."

"Can I hear it?" It was an absolute dream to hear the Nick Jonas playing something.

He nodded and put his plate down. Nick took the guitar in his hands and prepared to play it. "This isn't something we've released yet. I'm still working on it."

"I don't mind." I waited.

It was indeed a new sound and Nick started singing, he was quiet as though careful to not be too noisy. He was quiet enough to make me realize that he may be singing it just for me.

Hello beautiful
How's it going?
I hear it's wonderful
In California
I've been missing you
It's true

I looked at him, watching him as my heart started pacing. This amazing boy is singing on our date, even if the song is not for me, I could pretend that it is just for this moment.

But tonight, I'm gonna fly
Yeah tonight, I'm gonna fly
Cause I could go across the world
And see everything and never be satisfied

Then he lifted his eyes, looking at me before he finished.

If I couldn't see those eyes.

"It still isn't um...finished yet." Nick blushed and looked away from my eyes.

"I think it's perfect." It was. It was enough to make me realize how deep my feelings are getting for this boy.

I can't actually say I was in love. I was in the process of falling and I knew how difficult this is. What if we were not on the same page? What if we're on different books?

"Y/N." He called out my name and pulled me back to reality, "I really like you, you know."

"I like you too." It was the truth! I liked him a lot.

"I'm not sure if I'm going to fast by saying this but..." He took in a deep breath, "I want to be with you."

Maybe it was because I honestly could never think he'd truly want to date me so I said this, "But you are...with me."

He smiled at my words, amused again, "No, I want to be with you."

And then it clicked.