Chapter 7 : Another countdown

We searched Geeta's room.
Srivastav glared at the weird symbol drawn next the message in red.

"You know that symbol ?", Arjun asked.
"No. Not exactly, but it seems so familiar yet strange at the same time", Srivastav answered.

We didn't get any leads except 3 different maps. Titled as Photo radiation therapy (SCF hospitals and laboratories).

"We need to get back to the HQ. The forensic team will be here soon. Srivastav, you are on it", Arjun said as we left.

***

"About Geeta...", I initiated.
"Ha we aren't letting her go. She's a potential suspect. Her story and the circumstances don't even match a bit", Arjun said as we and the team looked at the three maps.

"Does this mean there are 3 hospitals ? Coz it says SCF hospitals and labs...", Nilima pondered.

"No, SCF is a very closed sort of hospital. It doesn't even take transplants from the other hospitals", I corrected.

"What if these 3 maps are of 3 different floors of the same hospital ? They're outer margins are similar", Arjun pointed out.

"That can be, but this map doesn't match with the SCF we have here. It's more rectangular", I remarked.

"The entrance is in the President's office", Nilima said as she moved her finger over the map.
"And, that's what we need", Arjun smiled.

***

Me, Arjun and Nilima hurried to SCF and searched for Vaishnav. But Sagar informed us that he hasn't been there for a week atleast.
"But isn't Vaishnav the current president of the hospital ?", I asked.
"Well, he is...", Sagar muttered.

"Raghav, personally I don't care", Arjun said as he entered the office. It looked brand new. Spacious and...
Arjun began to search all over the place.

"Isn't he crazy ?", Sagar whispered.
I didn't react but yes, it was true. Ever since, he saw the message. His behavior has changed a lot. Feels a lot more like he has taken up this as a challenge.

We searched till the evening. No clues either.
We returned without any new leads.

"The map is a hoax. That bit... That Geeta is just misleading us. All these girls in my life. They're just...", Arjun roared.
"Shouldn't we be discussing the case instead of our personal life ?", I said. I too had been frustrated at this point.

"Who the fuck are you to tell me what to do ? Why are you even here ?, I may ask. You're just a doctor, Raghav. This is my case !
I know how to handle it !!", Arjun almost shouted on my face.

"Calm down, will ya ?", Nilima intervened.

Buzzzzzzzzz.
Arjun picked up his cell.
"Seriously ? Now ?", He said as he rushed to the interrogation room.
"Tell me what these maps are about", He ordered Geeta.

"How many times do I tell you ? I don't know. Someone gave this to me. And I don't know who", She pleaded.
"Geeta, you have to tell me. Your brother's going to seriously die tonight if we don't find out soon enough", he warned.

"See how lies come out of his mouth. Bloody liar", I remarked from outside.
"No, he's telling the truth. The call he answered right now....", Nilima showed me a call recording.

"Hello ? Hello Arjun ? I'm feeling dizzy. I can't feel my heartbeats... It's the same thing Samantha felt when she was about to...."

"Seriously ? Now ?"

***

"Why are you just standing like this then ?", I asked. "Get an ambulance."

"Uh yeah. I'll do it", Nilima blushed as she went away.

If Arjun knew that Srivastav is getting symptoms. Why didn't he tell us or call for help ? Is it that Arjun had something to do with the murder...

OR He is the murderer himself.

Even the news of Geeta being there was told by Arjun himself. No one confirmed it. Maybe I know what Geeta was hiding.

I sat near the sofa. My mind wondering around the incidents of that night.

[ WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED THAT NIGHT ]

I entered my home and didn't remove my shoes. Someone hit me with something metallic.

I feel down unconscious.
Geeta said she saw me unconscious. Just unconscious. Not in a pool of blood.

That's when she was in shock. Not because of me lying there, but a gun touching her skull. It was Arjun's gun. And the 4th person in this scene should be Arjun.

Arjun wears my shoes goes up and kills Sarita.

So, there were actually 4 persons at the scene
Arjun escapes, Geeta doesn't see his face.
And as he is a senior, Srivastav won't hold him as a suspect.

[ 4 PERSONS AT THE CRIME SCENE ]

***
"Dr. Raghav ? You alright ?", Nilima questioned me as she shook me.
"Ya. I'm fine", I replied. My phone buzzed again. Nilima's too.

Another notification : Countdown-4
03:00:00 remaining.

"Arjun Sir wants us to get to Srivastav's house as soon as possible", she said.
I looked around, everyone was gone.

***
6.59 PM, at Srivastav's house.

We had surrounded Srivastav from all sides. We had even seized the house. No one could get in or out. The countdown had 1 hr yet to go.

But then something happened. The numbers turned to 00:01:00. Wtf !
"Srivastav, we'll not let you die. We'll catch the killer red handed", Arjun reassured.
"Arjun, he's here. Be alert", I said.

I looked the watch, at perfectly 7pm, the lights went off. But Arjun hadn't lost any of his words.
"Turn on the other lights. I've came all prepared." Saying this, lights from 4 directions illuminated the room.

We heard the sound of a reload. Shit. 30 seconds remaining. Everyone turned towards Srivastav, holding a gun upto himself.
"I'm sorry sir", I pleaded.

That's when he fixed his eyes on me and prepared to pull the trigger. Unexplained emotions filled his eyes. "Put the gun down, Srivastav", Nilima warned.

"Enough of this", Arjun directed his gun and shot Srivastav in the arm.
Srivastav's gun fell to the other side. 15 seconds remaining.
"Huh, cool shot. Everyone's safe fellas", Arjun exclaimed. But the thing was far from over. I noticed that even though the bullet got his arm, he was bleeding from everywhere.

Especially the upper thigh. The femoral region again ?!

"SRIVASTAV !!!", I shouted.

"OLD SCARS WILL REAPPEAR. He did say that...
OLD SCARS WILL REAPPEAR...", Srivastav chanted.

"Get a fucking ambulance", Arjun called out.

Arjun helped me get Srivastav to a suitable posture. "Who did this to you Srivastav ? Who did this to you !!???", He began shaking Srivastav vigorously.

"Hey Arjun, you are...", I pushed Arjun.

"Get out of here, doc", Arjun retaliated and picked up his gun.
"Sir, it isn't time to do all this", Nilima cried.

"What do you know ha ?", He said as he shook Srivastav again.
"Get away from him. He'll die", I warned.

I felt something hit my skull. Yet again.
Something cold. Something metallic.

It was Arjun, holding his gun.