CHAPTER 10

"I have to go," Jake said, but pulled Bailey in for another kiss as they stood inside the door.

She lifted her head away. "Okay. Bye."

He bit her lip, and she giggled. He was really starting to love that sound. It was partially why he had trouble leaving. The other, more pressing reason is that she only wore a robe. Since last night he now knew how easy it was to get her off. And he wanted to in all the ways she'd let him.

Alas, she gave him a peck then backed away for their own good. "Jayden has one of his last baseball games today. You have to go. Or you're going to be late."

"I know." He considered grabbing the edge of the robe then ripping it off. "You're going to have to push me out and shut the door in my face."

"I am not getting within reaching distance of you."

"Smart. I find that so sexy."

"You told me my nail polish color was sexy. Your bar is low right now."

He glanced down. She'd picked some glittery blue shade. He wasn't a feet guy but he kind of understood now. The color was cute. Sexy? Only because of her. "Okay. Okay. I'm out."

"Bye."

It killed him but he left. He felt immensely better about his choice when Jayden's greeting at the babysitter's almost knocked him on his ass. One day his son wouldn't be able to tackle hug him without injury. They made their way home, and Jayden had yet to take a full breath about his sleepover with the babysitter. Apparently, it had been a date night for a lot of the regulars, which meant a handful of his friends had stayed over. Every now and again, Jake could get in a question or two, but it was Jayden's show.

There was a pause as they stood in Jayden's room. The Transformer theme ran throughout, except the closet. The place where all the things ended up when it came time for him to clean his room.

Jake peered inside and frowned. "Where are your cleats?"

Jayden sighed and pushed him aside, beginning to dig in the pile of toys and random clothes. "Can we invite Ms. Thorne to the game since she likes you now?"

His gut clenched with...fear? Hope? He couldn't pinpoint the emotion. The question just seemed to swipe at a soft spot. He cleared his throat. "She might have things to do today."

"Like what?"

"Run errands. See her family. You know she doesn't stay at the school on the weekends?" Jake caught sight of the shoes first and grabbed them.

"I know. I'm not a two-year old."

He could only smile for a moment. "I would like for her to come too, but we can't have her all the time." And then that hit him, really hit him.

He loved professional baseball, but five-year-olds attempting to play was not nearly as entertaining as the real thing. The few hours would fly by with her there. It was a first. He'd invited Shayne's family more than once and when they could get time from the restaurant they would show up. And okay, he hadn't had his fill of her yet.

"It won't hurt to ask," Jayden said with a pout that Jake related to a bit too much.

"I'm going to let you call and ask her. If she says no or that she had something else on her plate for today, you'll thank her for considering and end it at that."

Jayden squared his shoulders and put his hand out for the phone. Jake ruffled his curls. "Wait. Where's your hat?"

His son sighed then turned back around into the closet. Jake really had to stop letting Jayden "fold" the laundry and put up clothes after game days. His son found the hat with minimal fuss.