Chapter 9

"You're fucking kidding me." Theo ran a hand through his hair and took a long deep breath as he stared up at the bright neon sign. "I'm not going in there."

Tristan clamped a hand over his friend's shoulder and chuckled. "You are, Wilder. I will drag you by your teeth if you refuse."

"Why are you doing this?"

"I'm just trying to be a good friend," Tristan said, his lips curling into a smile. "We used to do this all the time in grad school."

"Back when we were idiots who thought with our dicks," Theo retorted with the shake of his head.

"You still do that." He instantly regretted his words when Theo's face fell in guilt. "Maybe not so much anymore, but just pop in for a second with me."

Theo reluctantly followed Tristan into the club and shoved his hands in his front pockets when he saw Olivia and a very dressed down Serena.

"What is this?" he asked, eyeing her idea of a dress. It was black and sexy, but it was also too short for her to be prancing around in with other men watching her.

"Olivia," Serena explained, jerking her head in her direction. "Can I buy you a dance, Theodore?"

His jaw clenched as he turned to his friends who were already walking away from the mishap they caused. "I'm not here for a dance, sweetheart."

"How about I give you a dance?"

His eyes momentarily widened, and his nose flared, but he dropped his gaze to avoid eye contact. She'd be able to read right through him.

Shaking his head, he said, "Don't do this to me, baby. It's already hard enough not touching you."

"Touch me," she quietly said. She wasn't sure he had heard her above the music so she said it again: "Touch me, Theodore."

He took two steps to meet her and pulled her body against his, inhaling the sweet scent of her cherry perfume and the coffee she probably had that morning. "Touch you where, sweetheart? I need to do this right for when we're finally together."

"Here," she said, guiding his hand to the hem of her dress. "I want your mouth here."

He smiled and pressed a chaste kiss to the corner of her mouth. "Okay, baby, I can do that. But let me take you home and put you into something more comfortable."

"Did you forget about tomorrow?" she asked as she followed him out of the club.

"No, sweetheart. I want you fully rested before the long drive though."

Serena stared considerably at Theo, analyzing and examining the man who stood before her. Eight years ago, he wouldn't have cared so much about her. "Are you taking care of me, Theodore?"

"Yeah," he said on an exhale, "I am taking care of you. Is that a problem?"

"I don't need you to, but it makes me feel... almost loved."

His entire demeanor changed, and his hands shook as sweat beaded down his neck, but he cleared his throat and pressed a soft kiss to her lips. "Then I'm doing my part. Come home with me tonight, Serena. Stay with me."

• • • • •

Watching her get undressed made his hands - and even worse, his cock - twitch. He wanted to bask in the comfort of her body as they made love all through the night, but he refrained from touching her smooth body from underneath his t-shirt as she climbed into bed.

"I liked you better without this," he murmured, gently tugging at the fabric.

"Yeah?" She bit into her lip, which only earned a groan from him, and lifted the shirt over her head, exposing her naked chest. "You said you'd touch me."