Dr. McCoy: "Logic"

Jennifer has that moment of holy-shit-I'm-pregnant.

"Oh God," I sobbed.

There was a long moment where I couldn't hear anything except my own crying.

Then, "Jennifer? What's wrong?" Leonard was at the door to our bathroom.

"Nothing," I replied. I did a pretty good job of masking the tears in my eyes, if I do say so myself.

"Okay, I just... Never mind." I heard his footsteps get quieter as he walked away from the door.

I had to face the music at some point. Leaving him in the dark was not an option. For one, I'd start to show in a few months, right?

I stood up and tossed the pregnancy test into the sink. And then, before I tried to flush myself down the toilet or something equally cowardice, I opened the door.

"You alright?" Leonard asked immediately. He'd been waiting to jump me as I walked out of the bathroom.

I shook my head. He then undoubtedly saw the tears on my face. "What's wrong? Are you sick?"

I shook my head again. "No, not really. I feel sick but..."

He took my arms and sat me on the sofa in our shared cabin. He didn't ask any more questions, just waited for me to elaborate.

"I'm pregnant."

I didn't see a point in sugar coating it. If he left me, he left me. That would be the end of it. I'd raise the child on my own, and it would-

"What?" He gaped at me.

"I'm sorry, I don't know how this happened," I sobbed, gripping his shirt and burying my face in the crook of his neck.

Leonard stroked my hair. "Sorry for what? I'm ecstatic!"

I sniffled and leaned back to look at his face. "Really? I thought you'd be-" I sniffled again, "-angry."

"Angry? Honestly, Jen, you can be really ignorant sometimes. You're the best thing that ever happened to me. Except maybe this."

I wiped my eyes with the heel of my hand. "I love you, you know that? I really love you."

He grinned at me. "I love you. And you," he said, turning his attention to my tummy. I giggled at him. "Are you laughing at me?"

"You know she can't hear, right? You're kind of a doctor, so it's scary I have to tell you that." Leo reached up and caressed my cheek, and I imagined how, in nine months, we would be looking at our child like that. And that hit me like a brick wall to the face. "I'm scared," I admitted, tears threatening to spill down my face again.

Would I be good enough for this child? I didn't know the first thing about parenting.

"Jennifer, if you weren't scared then I'd be worried. Of course you're scared. So am I. But we're going to figure this out. I promise."

"How do you always know what to say to me?" I asked, then planted a kiss on the corner of his mouth. "You're perfect for me in every way. Ooh!"

He gave me a look.

"Names! I need to utilize all nine months if we're going to decide in time. Obviously Leonard if it's a boy. But it'll be a girl."

He chuckled. "How do you know?"

"Because I know. Don't question my logic, I don't care if you are a doctor."