05 | the temptress

16 years old

16 years old

With my legs crossed and numerous books surrounding me, I try to focus on finishing my math homework. Key word being try because I'm terrible at math. Looking at the equation I was struggling with only served to frustrate me further.

A sudden rustling sound coming from my window distracts me and I snap my eyes up to see Diego climbing through.

Oh, yes. A good distraction indeed.

Pushing the books away from me, I swing my feet off the bed to face him. He stands to his full height and I'm able to take in his appearance. He's dressed in jeans and a black hoodie that's covering his hair. Our eyes meet and a frown graces my face at the look of distress in his eyes. I have never seen him in such a state. In all the years I've known him, he has always maintained a calm and solid demeanor.

My voice is heavy with concern as I say, "Diego, are you okay?"

He shakes his head slowly as he walks to me. "There's something I have to tell you."

At this point I'm worried and my mind starts buzzing with all the possibilities that put him in this somber mood."What is it?"

There's silence for a bit as he just stares at me and then, "I'm joining the military."

Four words have never made me freeze so fast. My eyebrows furrow and I break my gaze from him, casting it to the floor as disbelief courses throughout my body. Joining the military is a life-defining decision. And it's one I never expected him to make. I know what the decision means and the thought already has tears forming in my eyes.

"When are you leaving?" I ask quietly, trying not to let my tears fall.

He surprises me by saying, "By the end of this week."

I snap my head towards him at that."And you're telling me this now?"

It's his turn to look away. "I'm sorry, Amora. I...I didn't know how to tell you."

I go quiet again, a tiny part of me understanding why he didn't say anything. It's not always easy to drop big bombs such as this one to the people you care about.

"Will I see you again before then?"

His expression tells me everything I need to know. "There's a lot of stuff I have to do before I leave so I'm afraid you won't."

A lone tear slips from my eye and Diego curses, pulling me in for a hug. I close my eyes, tightening my arms around him. He does the same, burying his face so deep into my neck almost as if he is trying to memorize my scent.

"I don't want you to leave." I sniffle as the tears I tried to suppress trickle down my face.

"I don't have a choice, beautiful," he mutters softly, pressing a kiss to my forehead.