Part III

Part III

~Sai~

As bad as it sounds, I'm glad Sakura ran away. Other wise I would be the one who had to make an excuse to leave that wretched table.

I search through the crowds of people for Sakura. She must have sprinted, because she's quite a distance away. Finally, I see her.

But it's not just her, to my surprise. Surrounding her are three other girls from our school. I get close enough to see and hear what's going on without being seen. I don't want to interrupt what's going on here.

The girl directly facing Sakura I recognize as someone named Tenten. Her hands are on her hips and her standard double bun hairdo is up and tight. She glares at Sakura, and Sakura doesn't appear to be happy in her presence.

Two girls stand slightly behind Tenten, as if they were lead by her. Both girls I recognize as our peers. One with bright red hair and glasses is Karin. It's known to the whole school, even me, that she's madly and ridiculously in love with Sasuke. It's just as well known that he shows zero interest in her. Beside her, stood a character I've only had the displeasure of speaking to once. She has lighter red hair than Karin and always wears a beanie. Her name is Tayuya, and she is not nice at all. She moved to Konohagakure from Otogakure a number of years back with a few other guys. She's instinctively rude and nasty. I don't know any of these girls well, but they seem to know Sakura.

"Hey look, the loser is at the mall all by herself!" Scoffs Tenten. As if on cue, Karin and Tayuya laugh maniacally and in sync. Sakura looks to the ground, embarrassed.

"I have friends," she mutters. "They're here, too."

"Oh, but did they cast you aside?" Laughs Tayuya.

"How worthless," Karin accuses while rolling her eyes. She looks away, as if Sakura wasn't even worth the light reflecting off her.

"No one wants to be friends with someone as ugly and untalented as you!" Points Tenten. Again, in sync, the others laugh. Sakura's eyes find the ground and stay there.

It doesn't make the slightest of sense. Sakura's a strong willed girl who never takes any attitude from anyone. Yet here, while she's being verbally assaulted, she doesn't make a single strike in return. She looks scared and timid. These girls words have turned Sakura into a completely different person. How long has this been going on without anyone noticing?

"What a waste of space. Nobody likes you, especially not Sasuke! I mean, Ino's no prize, but anyone's better than you!" She mocks.

"That's enough!" I call angrily. I step from my hiding space and place my body between Sakura and her attackers, as if my body will protect her from the hate being slewed at her. She looks utterly surprised to see me. "Leave Sakura alone," I growl.

"Awe, got yourself a little body guard, Sakura?" Laughs Tenten. She looks me in the eyes, then proceeds to size me up. Deeming continuing the harassment not worth it, she rolls her eyes and turns away. "Later, losers!" She calls as she walks in the opposite direction. Karin and and Tayuya give both of us a dirty look before turning and loyally following Tenten.

I turn to Sakura. I've never seen bullying of that caliber first hand before. I can't comprehend exactly how much pain Sakura is in. To have kept this a secret for so long...

She looks at me. "Sai, I- " she begins. But she can't finish her sentence; she bursts into tears.

I lead her sobbing body to a nearby bench where she can sit. I set her down and sit beside her. I've never had to deal with a crying girl. I hesitate, but I wrap my arms around her. As sobs wrack her body, my pity for her grows. Not only was she subjected to watching Sasuke and Ino, but she was just brutally assaulted. This breakdown must be from a build up of today's horrid activities. I find myself holding her tighter, wishing she didn't have to go through all this.