15

The following day, we're on to District 4, Tony Stark's district. The capital of this district is based in New York City, and the Statesman lands on the platform of Stark Tower. The tall tower runs off of clean energy, from what I've been told.

Happy Hogun, the escort for Four, is waiting on the platform, his hands in his pockets. His expression is serious as the Statesman's ramp lowers and Jane leads us out.

"Stark sent me out to greet you," Happy says, nodding to Jane. He looks at me as Veers and I approach him. "Thank you. For...for looking after the kid."

I nod to him. "Peter was a good kid."

Howard Stark is waiting inside, Tony Stark standing behind the bar. The room we enter is large and roomy, with floor to ceiling glass windows overlooking the landing platform and a balcony.

"Pointbreak!" Tony greets, lifting his hands. "You're here early. What gives?"

"Welcome to District 4," Howard says, arching an eyebrow at his son.

Jane gives the father and son a smile. "Thank you. I am sure you know of Loki Odinson and Veers?"

"Reindeer Games," Tony confirms, smirking. "And Twinkle Fists."

Veers furrows her brow, a slight, confused smile lingering on her lips. "Twinkle Fists?"

Tony raises his fists and holds them out, pantomiming shooting photon beams from them. "It explains itself, Starforce."

"Now you two are really champions," I hear, and glance up to see one of the other champions of Four, James Rhodes, the War Machine, approaching from the elevator. "It's not official until Tony gives you a nickname."

"Did anyone give Tony a nickname?" I ask.

Rhodes laughs, flinging his arm around Tony's shoulder. "Oh, yeah. He's Tony Stank. Courtesy of an old deliveryman."

Tony gives a wry grin before glancing to Hela and Valkyrie. "Ah, the two hags have come."

Veers looks completely baffled for a moment. "What?"

"The hags," Tony repeats, gesturing. "Murderous Hag and Booze Hag."

"Sorry," Howard mutters to Hela and Valkyrie.

"I've been called worse," Hela replies. "He's halfway accurate, at least."

"Tony, when are the..." the new, female voice trails off as Pepper Potts, the champion Rescue, dressed in a nice top and denim shorts, pads into the bright, open room. "Oh. I see they've already arrived."

"Yeah, we already went over the fact that they are early and therefore inconveniencing us," Tony remarks, giving Pepper a smile that's different from the smirk he normally wears. "Hey, babe."

Pepper gives him a slight smile. "Early or not, we welcome them. Thor, Jane, how are you?"

"His name is Pointbreak," Tony protests, scowling.

"Good," Jane replies, ignoring Tony. "How's everything been here?"

Pepper purses her lips for a second. "As good as we can expect."

The second of hesitation catches my attention. As good as they can expect? What is that supposed to mean? My gaze flickers to Howard Stark, who for a moment looks grim. Then the moment passes and Tony glances around at all of us. "You want a drink?"

After he's poured us all glasses of some version of Midgardian alcohol, Peggy Carter, the Warmonger District's first champion, enters the room, nodding a greeting to my sister and Ronan.