SIX

Being in love with someone that you know will never reciprocate the same feelings for you is absolutely agonizing. But, what's even worse is them not knowing the fondness you have for them.

Why?

Because, they will always unintentionally break your heart over and over again.

After a few minutes of watching Tangled and enjoying our ice cream Belle's phone goes off. She grabs her phone and looks at the caller ID.

Great. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Miah, I love you man, but really?

She looks at me smiling apologetically,

"I'm sorry." I shrug and look away from her,

"Go for it, the movie almost over anyways." I feel her stare at me as if she was trying to see if I was truly okay with her answering the phone.

Ignoring the ache in my chest, I sigh and look at her,

"If you don't answer, I will," I joke.

I avert my eyes from her again and continue to "watch" the movie. She doesn't answer the phone for a moment. The only sound you can hear is the annoying ringing of her phone and the sound of the tv. I then suddenly hear her sigh causing me to look at her. I don't know if it's just in my imagination but when I looked into those cat like eyes of hers, there was a flicker of disappointment.

But then again, I think it's just in my imagination. I don't want to get my hopes up for something that will never happen. What was the point? It will only cause me more pain at the end anyways. She stares at me for a few seconds, as if she was waiting for me to say something else. Again, just my imagination. She then averts her eyes from mine and slowly nods.

"Okay." She answers the phone and stands up and walks out, towards the kitchen,

"Hey love."

I watch her walk out and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

I grab the remote and turn off the tv, no longer in the mood to finish the movie. I lean my head back and close my eyes, trying to focus on the silence. But, it's pretty difficult when the only sound you can hear in the apartment is the soft, sweet voice of your best friend.

There is something about her voice that is just so soothing to the ears. It makes you forget the reason why she is even talking in the other room. Without realizing it, I feel my body soften and begin to doze off.

"Okay, I have to go. Bye!" I barely hear her say.

It was silent for a moment,

"I love you too, bye." I clench my fist, trying to remind myself to breath.

My eyes remain close as I hear her footsteps come closer. I suddenly hear her stop, and quietly giggle. I smile softly,

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." I open one eye and smirk.

She scoffs and rolls her eyes playfully,

"Conceited," She states.

She walks up to me and plops down beside me. I close my eyes again and smile,

"Nope, just overly confident." I turn my head slightly and see her leaning her head back staring at the ceiling.

Feeling my stares, she turns her head, facing me. I give her a playfully wink, causing her to laugh and shove me slightly. We both turn our gazes back to the ceiling. The only sound that remained was nothing.

Silence filled the room, and it wasn't the kind of silence that would give you an unpleasant feeling. The feeling of being afraid when there is nothing left to say. It wasn't the kind of silence where we struggle to fill the quiet with forceful noises. It was the kind of silence that fills your heart with warmth and security. It was comfortable, and this is the kind of silence that is rare and breathtakingly beautiful. No words were spoken for a moment, just the sound of our steady breaths that were involuntarily in sync. The silence was soon broken when my ears pick up a soft snore.

I turn my eyes back to the face I sincerely adore. My eyes flicker to her plump lips, how beautiful. I reach over and softly caress her cheek, so beautiful. She moves slightly causing me to retreat my hands hastily. She flutter her eyes slowly and turn her gaze to me, I smile and whisper,

"Tired?" She cutely nods, I chuckle,

"Want to sleep over?" She cutely nods again.

I softly smile,

"Okay come on, let's go to bed." I stand up and extend my hand towards her.

She groans and extends both of her arms towards me. I laugh when realization hits me,

"Want me to carry you?" She responds by giving me a a cute, tired smile.

I laugh and nod,

"Alright you big baby, hold on." I lean over and carry her bridal style.

I look down at her and smile softly,

"You're lucky you're cute." She softly giggles and puts her arms around my neck tightly.

Ignoring the pounding in my chest I head straight to my bedroom. I softly kick the doors open, walking in, I suddenly hear her say,

"It's like we just got married." I feel my cheeks develop a pink tinge from embarrassment.

'You're cuteness will be the death of me', I thought to myself.

"Hush you tired idiot." I said hoping she couldn't hear my racing heart.

She giggles tiredly and nods. I slowly lie her down on my bed,

"There ya go you lazy ass." I joke, she narrows her eyes playfully towards me.

"You love me," She says smugly.

I roll my eyes jokingly,

"Too much apparently," I state.

Ignoring the pounding in my chest I go around the other side of the bed and lie down.

'Okay Donny, breath, it's just like any other sleepover you guys always have. Only this time, you're utterly in love with her. You're fucked', I thought to myself.

My body stiffens when I feel her scoot closer to me, causing me to feel the warmth of her hand that lay next to mine. She yawns,

"Goodnight Don," She whispers softly, I smile,

"Goodnight Babe," I whisper back, I turn my gaze towards her sleeping face and slowly scan her soft features.

I look down towards our hand that are centimeters apart. Believing she has fallen asleep, with slightly shaky hands I softly grab her hand and slowly intertwine them, causing my heart to thump wildly against my chest and my cheeks to redden.

"Sleep tight," I whisper, I turn my gaze towards the ceiling and slowly close my eyes.

I smile softly when I feel her squeeze my hand slightly.

"Don't let the bed bugs bite," I chuckle to myself softly at her response.

We lay there, entering our dream state and welcoming the beautiful silence that envelopes the room.

Goodnight, reality.

-
-
-
-

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.