Building a House

When Thor arrived at New Asgard, he had Stormbreaker in one hand and Biscuit under his arm; the belongings he wanted to bring with him had already been delivered. His arrival had prompted the remnants of the Asgardians to rejoice at the sight of their king. As he met the crowds, he knew they were cheering out of decorum. He wasn't worthy of their praise. A true king of Asgard would have been able to save the people he'd sworn to protect.

"It's good to see you again, Thor," Brunhilde said as she walked alongside him. "It does your people good to see their king is back with them."

"King," Thor chuckled. Before Brunhilde could say anything, Thor turned back to her. "I want to build a house."

Brunhilde's eyes widened. "Well, there's a house for you but if you want to build one..."

"I do," Thor declared.

And so he did.

Thor set out right away to the forest where began to chop down the trees for the wood he would use to build the house. As he worked, he had a very distinct picture in his mind of the dream home he and Dean had discussed before.

"I like the idea of a log cabin," Dean had said one night as they lay awake in the dark together. "Something about a log cabin just makes me think of home."

"Then a log cabin you shall have," Thor had decided.

He worked tirelessly and without breaks as he carried the lumber with ease toward the place where the house would be. Then, with earbuds feeding a costant stream of music to him, he began to assemble the house.

The Asgardians would watch from a distance, marveling at their king's unending vigor. Many times, someone would come and offer him food or drink but he always refused. He'd thank them kindly and explain that he'd rest, eat and drink when the work was done.

Though most people were unaware, Thor had an insatiable curiosity for learning things and would often lose himself in his studies. This had been the case with building a house. After his and Dean's conversation about a log cabin, he'd devoured every piece of information he could find on the subject of building a house.

"You don't have to actually build the house," Dean had chuckled one night when he'd found Thor awake and reading about plumbing. He wrapped his arms around Thor's next and kissed his cheek.

"What sort of husband would I be if I didn't build you a house?" Thor had replied before setting the book aside and gathering Dean into his arms.

"Well, that depends on what else you have to offer, I guess," Dean teased.

"Oh, I have many things to offer you, Fair One," Thor had declared before picking Dean up and carrying him into the bedroom. "My love, for a start."

Dean ran his fingers through Thor's hair and smiled up at him. "That's all I've ever wanted."

Thor smiled at the memory and continued his work. With his body and mind so busy with the task of building, he felt a gratitude for the reprieve from his ache. Building this house meant he was doing something. He worked into the night and, when day broke, he stood before the finished work and smiled up at the log cabin.

After inspecting the house for any defects- and correcting whatever he noticed- Thor brought Biscuit and his belongings into the house. The cat promptly began to investigate his new surroundings and Thor chuckled as he found an empty box and ceremoniously hopped inside and curled into a ball.

Then he took a picture frame from a box and grabbed a hammer and nail. He went to work hanging the picture, then stood back and stared at it. The frame was a little crooked, so he walked up to it and began to carefully straighten it. He wanted it to be perfect. Then, once he was satisfied, he took a few steps back and stared.

It was a large picture of Dean and him. Clint had taken it unbeknownst to them, capturing a candid moment. In the photo, Thor was standing against the rail in the upstairs portion of Avengers Tower. He was in the process of telling one of his great, sweeping stories, his face lit up with cheer and excitement. And standing next to him was Dean. He had his arm wrapped around Thor's and was staring up at him as he regaled everyone with his story. In the photo Dean was staring up at Thor, his face showing so much happiness, adoration and love for the thunder god.

His breath hitched and he felt the tears coming again. He reached out and gently touched the picture. "I built your house, Fair One. Just like you always wanted," he declared in a small, broken voice. "But you deserved so much more."

Then, because there was nothing else for him to do, he sat on the floor and lost himself in a flood of tears.

A short while later, he stepped out of the back door and onto the deck. Having been built where Thor, Odin and Loki had last been together, it overlooked the cliffs and the sea that had been Odin's final view.

Thor stared out into the distance and listened to the rushing waves. He beheld the sky as it lay on top of the sea and smiled somberly.

"Remember this place," Odin had said to them just before his death. "Home."

But Thor knew in his heart that it would never be his home. He would forever roam without one. His home was wherever Dean was. And Dean was gone forever.