𝐈𝐕

--------------------

Dream was forced to stay at home for the time being until his wound completely healed. He insisted-- demanded, to stay at work. He didn't like taking breaks, since he always felt like he could be doing something productive at the moment. Every second counts, he'd say.

And right now, he feels so useless as his android partner forces him to relax on the couch.

"I'm sorry that I failed to protect you, de- Dream." Karl's voice cracked, a bit more static-y from how unnatural was  for his voice box to crack like a teenage boy going through puberty. 

"Stop apologizing, damnit. You sound like a broken record now." He couldn't look at Karl in the eyes right now. Especially after seeing how human Karl looked.

He remembers it so vividly.

Karl's face resembled a frightened, yet frustrated look all at once. 

He needed a cigarette right about now, even though he hasn't had one in at least two years.

"You shouldn't smoke, it's unhealthy-"

Dream swats away Karl's hand like an irritable fly, "It's only one cigar, stop overreacting."

"But I care about your health, D-"

"How does an oversized coffee machine like you know what it's like to care about something?"

Karl said nothing.

"That's what I fucking thought." He starts to walk out of the room.

"Dream."

Dream pauses for a moment, hearing what Karl had to say.

"Why do you hate me so much?"

Dream knew how to read people; their body language, their expression, and the tone in their voice. It tells him everything about a person, that's what makes a great detective, the ability to read peoples silent language.

So when he heard how pained and distressed Karl sounded, he didn't know what to say. 

And to be honest, not even he knew why he had such prejudice against androids. It's not like something personal had happened to him that made him so against them. 

Maybe.. He couldn't just accept that androids are sentimental things now.

Or maybe... He was desensitized by all the murderous androids that had killed their 'owner'. He had seen some nasty murder cases that had android involvement, and the way the androids didn't show any remorse towards their actions afterwards. The way they had little to no emotion when they were originally made; he always thought their emotions were just pretend. 

So... was he scared of them?

....

"Are you going to answer my question?"

Dream turned his head, looking at Karl's face as he furrowed his eyebrows. 

"I don't know." 

That answer didn't seem to satisfy Karl, and he saw Karl clutch his hands into fists; they shook a bit.

If Karl hadn't worn his Cyberlife jacket/uniform or LED, Dream would've been easily deceived by him, thinking that Karl was human.

"I'll see you later, detective."

Karls LED had spun an aggressive red as he quietly left.

--------------------