Chapter 22

The cooperation with the Order goes smoothly, according to Hollie's commentary. Hollie is the only person in contact with the Order. All Order members are fugitives and they don't want too much connecting their group with them. In the past two weeks, most of the young students and their families have been moved out of the safe house to another location provided by the Order. It brings back some of the peace they had.

Umbridge and her father still have their sight set on the Order, especially now Muggle-Born students are disappearing from their containments. Lyra forges as many documents as she possibly can with Acelina's help.

Haela is still in close contact with Potterwatch, the pirate radio program hosted by two of Percy's brothers and their best friend. Every time the show is on, the whole group tries to listen. This way they gather information about Harry Potter's whereabouts and what the rest of the Wizarding community is doing in an attempt to resist Voldemort.

The tension between Acelina and Percy is still there. Haela had declared them both idiots but keeps a close eye on them. Acelina suspects Percy confided in Oliver. He and Haela keep sharing these knowing looks. Acelina is still searching for the right moment to talk to the man but they are both swamped with their day jobs and their work for the Muggle-Borns.

Acelina's paranoia had been nagging her that perhaps it all had been going too well but Acelina tries to ignore the voice in the back of her head.

It turns out the little voice is right. It all had been going too well.

It's a usual day at work for Acelina. She is following Umbridge from one meeting to the other when they pass through the Atrium. Umbridge, as usual, stops a few moments in front of the stone statue. With an expression Acelina has grown to hate, the woman looks up proudly. Acelina has her head buried in one of the files Umbridge had handed her after her latest meeting. She is supposed to summarize it and send copies around the Ministry.

Ever since Voldemort has taken over the Ministry, the Atrium had been quieter than before. Nobody wants to draw the attention of the security guards (Acelina tries to avoid Draguar as best she possibly can). Any talk that is done is whispered, behind raised hands.

The scream that pierces through the air seems to echo more due to the silence.

Startled, Acelina looks up from her file. Around her, more employees are looking around to see what the commotion is about. Since Umbridge has 'cleaned up' the Ministry, arrests in the middle of the Atrium are rare.

Suddenly, a woman with strawberry-blonde hair appears in Acelina's sight. She is running away for something, someone. A shock goes through Acelina as she recognizes Hollie in her Ministry uniform. Three Aurors are chasing her, wands out and pointing in Hollie's direction.

Hollie dodges employees left and right, making her way to the series of gilded fireplaces.

One of the Aurors fires a curse that misses Hollie by an inch. It hits one of the newspaper stands, setting it ablaze. Employees standing near the stand scream and someone tries to extinguish the fire.

Acelina is nailed to the spot. Watching with horror as another curse is fired at Hollie.

She needs to help Hollie but before Acelina can take a step, the rational part of her brain reminds her she can't. Not unless she wants to reveal herself as well. Hollie has clearly been found out. Acelina's involvement could only point her father in the direction of the others.

Another curse soars through the air. The bright light hits Hollie in her back. She trips and cries out as she rolls over the polished floor. People around her quickly scatter and hide, not wanting to get caught up in the crossfire.