twenty

Louis,

I'm sure this letter will be delivered safely since Mr. Rodgerick is carrying it. I do hope, though, that this letter reaches you in good spirits. If you are, for any reason, upset or depressed then I hope this letter can lift your mood. I read your letter multiple times, and my heart fluttered every time. I wonder if my letters do the same for you.

I have quite a few things to address in this letter. First and foremost, I am sorry to say that my interactions with Zayn have been little to none. There was a night where he recently came to my shed, and I must say— the concerns you hold should be multiplied by at least 100. He left a message for you: he's sorry. I don't know why, but I will continue to keep my eyes and ears involved. If I hear or see anything, I will be sure to tell you.

Your sisters are even less visible, but the house is bleak so I would assume their life is the same. Mr. Tomlinson does not leave his chambers or office during the day, and has not left the house since Mrs. Tomlinson's passing. Many have come to visit him, but have been rejected entry. Flowers are all that arrive now, but they are drowned in buckets of water before being mixed for fertilizer. They never sit in a vase, and they're never given the chance to live. I believe your father is working hard to stay miserable, and misery loves company.

Your lover is working hard. While the night tempts him to imagine your body buried under his sheet, the day time exists to remind him that you aren't here. His bones ache to hold you, his heart aches to love you, and you are not alone in your lust. Yes, perhaps an exclusive letter of your affections and adoration will calm this lewd storm.

I also think about the reason(s) you were sent to Port City. Are you doing well with this spontaneous apprenticeship? It's a relief that Mrs. Walker is a comforting figure for you, and that she fulfills a position our relationship cannot. I take no offense to it. In fact, I hope you return home a stronger man and a more mature partner. This arrangement I pushed you towards— is it still working? I must say that not being able to greet you after your courting is causing a deep ache in my chest. I never expected you to spend so much time away from me while simultaneously spending it with Ms. Williams. Nonetheless, this is for the better.

There is only so much I can say before it becomes repetitive. After all, men in my position do not live exciting lives. I don't travel, I don't gossip, my love life is circling around the receiver of this letter, and my mind is focused on my project if it isn't already focused on you. I'm sorry that my letters will be so short, and so boring compared to yours. Still, I hope these make you smile every time you read them, and that any weight on your shoulders dissipates after.

I cannot wait for your next letter. I adore you dearly.

Yours truly,
Harry

"Good afternoon, Mr. Tomlinson." Mr. Williams greets, holding his hand out. Louis shakes it firmly, but not stiffly.

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Williams. Please, call me Mr. Louis." The muse smiles. "Mr. Tomlinson is my father."

The man motions for him to join at the chairs where small snacks, and tea is set up on the table. Maids watch his every move, and Mr. Rodgerick takes his jacket and hat. The weather is bad outside, and the storm that was brewing off the shore finally reached Port City. The rain is pouring down, and it soaked Louis.

"I apologize that you came in such bad weather." Mr. Williams sits, and picks up his tea. Louis follows along. "If only we could predict this kind of sudden change."

"No need to worry. It's only my coat that got wet." The muse sips his tea, and hums. "Delicious. I noticed this the past few times I have been here to see Ms. Williams, but you serve amazing tea."

"Thank you." With the formalities out of the way, and the ice slowly but surely breaking between the two, Louis wonders when it will be okay to ask why Mr. Williams wanted to speak with him. One of his personal footmen delivered a letter to Mrs. Walker a few days ago, requesting Louis' company for a talk.

"If you don't mind," Louis chuckles slightly after a minute of silence, "I would like to know if I did anything to bring about this meeting."

"Not at all." Mr. Williams laughs softly. "I just have a few things to clear up with you that I discussed with your father. I'm sure you'll agree with us, since it's in everyone's best interest, but I didn't want to misguide you."

With a nod, the man continues. "Mr. Tomlinson seems completely smitten with the idea of you, and Alexandra marrying. While I'm not opposed to it, I have heard nothing from you."

Louis doesn't need to be told any more directly: Mr. Williams wants to hear a love confession. Being a man not only uninterested in women but also in love with another man, Louis does his best to hold back his uneasiness. He's never confessed to or for anyone but Harry.

"Well," Louis sits his tea down slowly to buy a few more seconds, "Ms. Williams has kept me company in a way that I didn't expect. She's smart, logical, and is able to hold conversations about almost any subject. You've raised a beautiful, and poised young woman."

"Thank you." Mr. Williams smiles, and it seems to be enough. Ah, Louis thinks, he's just a man who wants to be praised. An ego boost.

Louis wonders about what Mrs. Walker told him just a few nights ago, about making sacrifices and the envy his lover feels back at home, and debates ending this courtship. While Harry is the one pushing him towards this, he knows that being married and having a life with someone else will ultimately depress and sadden Harry. If he really loves him, how can Louis allow this?

However, he also knows that this would bring serious consequences at home. His father will rage, endangering anyone he sees fit. Louis has seen enough people suffer for his mistakes, and all he can do is gain his independence and manhood which will allow him to confront his father without ties to loyalty. Had Louis never met Harry, marrying and leaving home would have always been the plan. He would have suffered silently without question, but Harry has brought a new sense of self into his life. Now, Louis contemplates his next moves and the consequences of each option like a proper adult should.

He clasps his hands together, purses his lips, and decides that maybe he'll stay with this courtship just a little longer.